Best Lead/Bass combo ever

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 26, 2015.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Cetera/Seraphine (very underrated)

One of my favorite bass/drum combos in a song of all time

red55 likes this.
  2. islstl

I do agree with your assessment of McCartney. He's hardly mentioned in the pantheon of great bassists.

3. islstl

Not sure I've ever heard someone play a "dirty" or "grimy" bass like he has during his tenure with Yes.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

5. islstl

Thanks.

Nice to see he is 3rd on the Rolling Stone poll.

From the looks of those lists, my statement would have been much more accurate in regards to Squire.

6. red55

Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads is under appreciated.

Session bassists like Carol Kaye are hardly mentioned but are responsible for some of the finest bass recordings ever. She is the most recorded bassist in history and played with over 250 recording artists on over 1,000 recordings including over 150 gold records. She's Paul McCartney's favorite bassist and he considers her an influence on everything he played after Pet Sounds was released.

Here is a couple of hundred of them.

Herb likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Which brings me to The Doors, no bassist listed but Manzarek could have laid down the bass track on a keyboard which is probably what happened so he doesn't count.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. red55

Manzarek played the bass line on a keyboard in concert. But in the studio they used a session bassist, Larry Knechtel, who was the other first-call bassist in L.A. along with Carol Kaye in the 60's and 70's.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

If you listen to the bass on Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years"...awesome. And that intro. I love it.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

My cousin is a bass player. Back in the early 70's a friend of his, Bobby Kimball, went to California to join up with a new band and called him to move out there and play bass in the band. He was going to go but later found out it was going to be a try-out since another band member, Steve Lukather I think he told me, had a friend that he wanted in the band to play bass. That was a heck of a move for him to go out there not knowing if he would have a job and no money to get home. You can Google Bobby's or Steve's name and find out what he missed out on.

He did venture out there years later and played in a few cover bands over the years. One day a group of guys approached him and wanted him in their band. He described them as pretty rough looking but were praising his play and one made the comment "..and, man, you even have a car". He decided against it but it turned out it was the early version of "The Red Hot Chili Peppers". He figured they needed rides to gigs.

Anyway...pretty interesting story but he found his niche in Cali. He is a sound engineer for some shows like "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men". Still plays music on the side. There is a commercial out by the clothing company "Chico" that used one of his little jingles on it.

Bengal B likes this.