Best LSU CB Ever

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Oct 3, 2007.

1. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

drc40, you are ALMOST right about that series with ND. The first game was played at South Bend in 1970, where the Tigers lost by a 3-0 score. (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/history/PastResults_2.asp?Season=1970)

The following year, ND came to BR and Tiger Stadium -- a game I attended and watched the Tigers beat ND by a score of 28-8. (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/history/PastResults_2.asp?TeamID=1&Sport=Football&Season=1971)

One of my fraternity brothers played for the Tigers. He was Chris Dantin, #32, a running back. We met him outside the locker room after the ND game. He was with an offensive lineman whose name I don't recall. What I do remember was that GIANT LSU lineman saying, "Jesus, They were BIG!":eek:ldskule:

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I would go with Casanova as the best all time CB. I'm old school. We had a great safety in the 80's, Mike Williams from Covington, he played for the Chargers for a long time.

To show that I don't just vote for old time players, I've moved JaMarcus Russell ahead of Bert Jones to #1 all time QB, and LaRon Landry has to be our best all time safety. You young guys have just seen some special performers, for sure.

It's a little hard to compare the old school players and the new, because the nutrition today is better (more specialized), and the strength training is superior today, based on decades of experimentation into what works best. In the 1940's, I don't think the players worked out with weights much, they just showed up and played, and they were just naturally great athletes.

But if guys like Cannon, Stovall, and Casanova were around today, they'd still be great, they'd just be even stronger than they were when they played.

1 person likes this.
  3. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I barely remember Randall Gay, but now he is a shut-down corner as well as a physical run stopper for the best team in the NFL.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Agree that Mike Williams was a hell of a safety but LaRon is #1.

JR led us to two great seasons, but I'm still partial to Bert. Old school must be showing.:hihi:

Dorsey in my mind has moved ahead of Spears as our best D lineman.

5. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

That's probably because he never started at CB for LSU. He was the nickelback behind Corey Webster and Travis Daniels most of the time. I'm not so sure I would say he is a shutdown corner now but since he played for LSU... he is :thumb:

6. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Can't leave off Tory James!

7. HogCity Tiger

HogCity Tiger Founding Member

When we were kids we spotted Tommy Casanova at the Ground Patty when we were eating there. It was a scene. :grin:
    He and Bert Jones were considered gods in the early 70's. :hihi:
    I sat next to Mike Miley at a Tiger Baseball game back then. He had his ankle in a cast and was just chillin in the stands sitting with his girl friend.
    He was cool enough to let me sign his cast lol. Very nice guy especially to young Tigah fans.
    I was sad to learn a few ago that he was killed in a car crash in BR in '77. :(

8. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Casanova by far

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I always like Troy Twillie. No he doesn't rank up there with the greats, just he was playing Corner at LSU while I was playing corner in High School, so when I went to the games, I watched him pretty close. Cedric Donaldson was another.

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I saw Tommy Casonova two weeks ago at my son's 7th grade football jamboree in Crowley. He appears to still be in great shape. I will never forget this play that CW made in 2003 to end the game vs. Jawja. We had a Georgia fan (girl) tailgating with us who was very obnoxious and talking serious smack in an ugly way b4 the game. I couldn't wait until we got back to the tailgate after the game. Taaaaalk about a sore loser. I'd put Corey up there as one of our best. TC was an All-Amrican and went on to have a good pro career. Its tought to compare players who played in different era. Chevis Jaxson is certainly up there as well. Look out for John Williams in the future. ( Word I'm hearing is Early WILL NOT be playing on Saturday. )