best lsu qb performance of all time.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, May 5, 2004.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tommy Hodson in the 1987 Gator Bowl against South Carolina. The whole stadium was lined with Carolina fans wearing black for their "Black Death" defense, which relied on the all-out blitz. Well, they black died that day. Hodson and Wendell Davis automatically changed plays to take advantage of whoever blitzed and completed pass after pass. Hodson never got sacked and lofted three touchdowns to Davis who Carolina was foolishly single-covering.

2. TigerStagg

TigerStagg Founding Member

Herbie Tyler had an outstanding game vs. Florida in ’97. He had like a 40 yard option run for a TD early in the game that put the Tigers up 14-0 and made everyone believe. He also scored the capping touchdown with a 10 yard option TD. Not known for his passing, he hit Booty on some huge pass plays that helped control the field and the clock.

He also took about the most wicked hit I’ve ever seen a qb take. Kearse nailed him after a throw in a late hit that wasn’t called. Herbie is a little guy and “The Freak” put his helmet up under the chin, lifted him off the ground and laid him out for about 3 minutes. He was only out for one play I think.

Herbie was gutsy, likable player & should have been the winningest QB in LSU history. Those offenses were very productive. Of course Faulk, the all-time SEC total yardage king, had a lot to do with that. Had our defensive unit not completely collapsed under the weight of Lou Tepper’s radically inept system, those teams would have won.

It’s a blessing in disguise though, if we hadn’t hit rock bottom we wouldn’t know the joys of Saban today. Dinardo would probably still be here and we’d be thrilled with 7 & 8 win seasons & Peach & I Bowl appearances.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I watched the replay of that game the other night. If I hadn't know it was a replay I would have thought that Kearse had killed him.:cool:

:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs: :champs:

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Rohans's first half in the January 2002 Sugar Bowl against Illinois was pretty impressive. It was like he could not miss. He played well the entire game but I remember how "on fire" he was during the first half.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Ro certainly was good in that Sugar Bowl vs the Illini, you have to wonder what he would have been able to do vs UT in the SEC CG if he could have played the entire game, we've never had an offense get on a roll passing the ball like we did at the end of that season, incredible. The Bama game and the Sugar Bowl were 2 games that will always stand out in my mind as far as the infamous well oiled machine!!!

6. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I don't know about anybody else but I felt like LSU was the best team in the country at the end of the 2001 season. I think we would have blown out ZeroU or Free Shoes U had we played them. JMO

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

That season OU had a defense similar to ours last season, I don't think anyone would have blown them out, but it would have been exciting to see them play.

8. DgPTiger

DgPTiger Founding Member

yeah, OU had a pretty mean defense that year. they held FSU (overrated, but still average 40+ points a game, i think) scoreless. it was a damn boring game though...

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

When Herb finally got up after the hit, Dan Borne said, "Herb Tyler ladies and gentlemen!" I think he jogged off the field to show everyone he was alright and I remember the Tiger Stadium crowd erupting, despite the tension that was building.

10. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I don't think it was Kearse that hit him but a linebacker. Watching the other night, Kearse was chopped by Faulk and crawled at Herb's feet as the pass was thrown. Then Herb took 2 more steps before being laid out by a linebacker #40-something. So it was a huge hit, just not by the Freak.