Best LSU Team Since You

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckE, Jul 14, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

have been a fan? IMO 1982. We lost 21-20 in the orange bowl. We were 8-2-1 with a 24-24 tie with Tennessee, 27-24 loss to Bond and Ms. State, and for the life of me I can't remember for sure who the other loss was to. I'm thinking it was Tulame. I believe we were a TD from an undefeated season. The Nebraska coach said that defense was the best any team he had coached ever faced. Through 3 complete quarters we held Bears boys to -45 yards rushing, and either the week prior or after held OM to -45 yards total offense. I believe Bama had a +40 yards offense at the end of the game. These were back 2 back games. Archer's first year was a very good team as well. (10-1-1) Please share your thoughts!

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Call me crazy but I went to home games from 1985-1999 and I will say the 1987 team that went 10-1-1.

3. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

I agree

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Even though the 2001 team lost 3 games when they started clicking on all cylinders by the end of the year they were playing as good as anybody in the NCAA. The offense had become almost unstopable. My Dad had season tickets in 1958 NC year and took me to games but I was too young to remember much about that team except what has been written about them in the years since then.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Its easy to say the 2001 team because that is who we remember the best. We had the best reciever in LSU history and in the nation. You had Rohan and Teaux, James and Faulk.

However I give the slight nod to the 1987 team.

However I believe by the end of the 2001 Season if LSU had the chance they would have won the National Title if they had a chance to play for it. By the Sugar Bowl, I truly believe without question they were playing better football then anyone in the nation (If there was a playoff system this would not be an issue)

But for me but just a nose 87.... then 2001

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Archer's 1st team (actually Arnsparger's last) was pretty good. The 1970-71 Bert Jones team was not bad either.

7. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

I really liked the 1973 team that Cholly Mac took to the Orange Bowl. The '86 & '87 teams were also very good. Arnsbarger really had LSU moving up in the right direction. Archer looked good his first year then started appearing clueless.

8. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I'll go with:

1. '87 (10-1-1), slightly over;
    2. '82 (8-3-1), simply because the '87 team got it done a few more times, and didn't choke against MSU and Tulane;

Then a little gap, then:

3. '01 (10-3), slightly over;
    4. '86 (9-3), which included losses to Miami of Ohio, Ole Miss and Nebraska in the Sugar. If we don't blow the Miami game, we likely don't lose to Ole Miss (although they had a good year that year at 8-3-1) and, possibly, play for the national championship.

But, of course, I'll likely have to replace the #1 spot with '03 at 14-0. ;)

9. jojo

jojo Freshman

2001 with Rohan and Reed it was a magical year with Ro and toe being injured in the championship and Mauck and Davis stepping in. Rohan and Reed torching Alabama. Sugar bowl win was the icing on the cake.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Got to go with 1987. 10-win season. Big bowl game victory over South Carolina. Their "Black Death" defense black died that day with three Hodson to Davis TD's. They tried to cover Davis man to man . . .bad mistake. They also tried to blitz Hodson, who never got sacked once. He just dumped it to the open receiver every time.