Best LSU Team Since You

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckE, Jul 14, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. That was a fun game to watch.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I also think the 1996 and 1997 teams were pretty talented. It seemed their seasons were very solid but for 2-3 games each time...

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

SouthLink02, you're right that those teams were talented, and the records (10-2, 9-3) prove that. But, the '96 team was BLOWN OUT by both Florida and Bama, and the '97 team seemed to underachieve, with losses to Auburn, Ole Miss (week after the Florida win) and ND, all at home.

But most importantly, there is no way any true LSU fan can rank a Gerry Dinardo coached team as one of the top teams he or she has ever seen.

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Oh no, I didnt mean to say they were top teams. I still stand by my first post that the 1987 was the team I thought was the best. I am just saying that from going to all games in those years I thought outside of 2-3 games a year in 1996 and 1997, they played very well...

5. Rocky

Rocky Freshman

1969- Record of 9-1. A defense that held opposing rushing games to an average of about 35 yards per game. No bowl. Should have been a lock for the Cotton Bowl which took Notre Dame instead when they, ND, decided to get back into the bowl business. Charley Mac and the team decided not to accept a lesser bowl and stayed home.

6. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Would all of you agree that the 1982 defense was one of the very best at LSU. I thought they were the best since i've been a fan about (34/yrs), until Rocky provided some information on the 1969 defense. Now I'm well aware of the bandits. I have a friend in Lake Charles that was a lineman on the 58 & 59 teams.

7. TravisCoTiger

TravisCoTiger Founding Member

The '82 team was great at times,but I could never rate a team which lost 3 of its last four(especially to Tulane at home,considering how they ran it up in '81) as the best ever.I give my nod to the '87 team.

8. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Would your friend's last name be Goode?

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Since I have activly followed LSU football which was beginning of high school for me, before then it was just kind of in passing, forgive me I was a Miami fan before then..........hey I am also a Cowboys fan so I was supporting Jimmy Johnsons and Micheal Irvin's old school, the best LSU team has been the 2001 team. Rohan, Josh Reed, Micheal Clayton, LaBrandon Toefield on offence and Bradie James, Trev Faulk on defense. Plus there was the guy who has the best name in LSU History, Joe Dimingeaux, somehow it comes out like DiMaggio.

10. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Founding Member

82 without a doubt was the best team since early 70's. They didn't always play with all their heart, but there is no team they could not beat. Defense was incredible at times, better than any I've seen.

cheers!