Best LSU Team Since You

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckE, Jul 14, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

Bauoutider: His name is Ed MCreedy.

2. freddy

freddy Founding Member

A little different angle on this, the 1997 team that beat Florida. That team had some great talent (Faulk, Mealey, Collins part-time, Foster, Fanaca, Roman, Raion Hill, Wiley, McFarland, etc) but laid 2 eggs (Ole Miss, Notre Dame), and lost a tough game (Auburn) that turned on a horrible 3rd down call. I always thought that team could have beaten anyone that year depending which team (and coaching staff) showed up.

3. freddy

freddy Founding Member

I meant 3rd down play call by Dinardo, the pass call on 3rd and 2.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Ah, the 3rd & 2 call from the Auburn game. Dinardo claimed it was a run/pass option and he expected Herb to run the ball. It may have been the first time Dinardo's communication problems surfaced. That was definitely a "could've been" year with the talent they had. Also, the year before that was mentioned when we were blown out by Florida & Bama was a good team. We never got off the bus at Florida but those Gator teams were almost unstoppable. Also, if Herb doesn't get hurt for Bama, I think we win that game. Our opening drive was picture perfect until the penalty on the touchdown.

That victory over Todd Ellis (was that his name?) and the South Carolina team in the Gator Bowl was kind of similar to the 2001 team. A couple of stumbles during the season but could've played with anyone in the country at the end of the year. The 2001 victory over Kentucky was less dramatic than last year but probably more significant. If Ro doesn't find Clayton (true freshman at the time) with 13 seconds left, I seriously doubt we make it to the SEC championship game. Some of my friends were disgusted after that game but you take a road SEC win any way you can.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

I'll never forget that Auburn game. Cecil ran all over Aubbie. All DiNardo has to do is give it to Cecil. Everyone in TS and national TV just knew Cecil was going to get the ball. Who give a sh#* if aubbie knew it? They couldn't stop him knowing he was going to carry the mail before. That was a dumb call by DiNardo. If I remember correctly, Herb ran out of bounds a yard short of the FD.

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

3rd & 2

Actually, I'm pretty sure Herb threw a quick out to Foster that was incomplete on a little roll-out. Dinardo claimed it was a run/pass option that he expected Herb to run. Anyway, like you said, they should've just given the ball to Cecil.

7. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I have always sided with Dumbnardo on this one... Herb should have run the ball. If he had, we would have easily had the first down. Even if the communication broke down, he still should have had the sense to run it. Mistakes happen. That is what makes it exciting!

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

1987 team...hands down (in my lifetime anyways).

The 2001 SEC champ/Sugar Bowl champ wasn't a bad one either.:geaux:

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

1969 team, 9-1, only loss to Notre Dame 3 to 0. Missed a medium field goal late in the game. George Bevan, Mike Anderson, Bill Thompson at linebackers (2 all americans). Gotta be the best Tiger defense, and pretty good offense.

Hottest run and most fun run to watch, 2001 SEC champs, Rohan Davey to Josh Reed was a real treat. The team was just getting better and better!

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The all time greatest LSU team? Get into the Wayback Machine and go back to the year 2003? From the January 14th issure of Sports Illustrated: "From the opening tuneup 84 - 0 win over ULM though the 63 - 14 destruction Miami in the 2004 Sugar Bowl the 2003 LSU Tigers grabbed the rest of college football by the throat and didn't take their Paws of of their collective necks until Miami QB Brock Berlin was heard to frantically cry "No Mas" early in the 3rd quarter. While exercizing total dominace of the SEC LSU bacame the first team in the history of college football to have a 2000 yard paser, QB Matt Mauck, a 2000 yard rusher in Robert Addai and receiver Michael Clayton who registered a 2000 yard season. After struggling to a 10 - 10 halftime score against Georgia in the SEC opener the Tigers were never challenged again. After a pair of pinpoint TD passes in the 3rd quarter from Mauck to Henderson and Clayton and an 83 yard scoring screen to Shyrone Carey the rout was on. Bookend 47-0 shutouts of Auburn and Alabama finally gave LSU the respect they deserved and boosted the Tigers to a unanimous # 1 ranking in both polls and in the BCS standings. The Fighting Tiger Defense didn't take a back seat to the "Shock and Awe" Offence. In racking up 97 sacks and 37 interceptions led by Corey Webster's 16 the "Bayou Bitchslapper" D limited Tiger foes to less than a touchdown a game scoring average."

At least thats what my Sharper Image 8 Ball tells me.