best mexican restaurant in baton rouge.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

are any of these the best mexican restaurant in baton rouge?

1. PICANTE MEXICAN

2. CARLOS MEXICAN FOOD

3. CASA MARIA

4. GUSTA VO'S MEXICAN

5. MAMACITA'S GRILL

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No.

1. Superior Grill

2. Carlos'

3. Ninfas

4. Seranos

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Ninfas, great after an LSU game.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Superior Grill is the best, although I rarely go there anymore because I live in Texas and one can't cross the street here without bumping into a good Tex-Mex restaurant.

Still, Superior's steak fajitas and really strong margaritas are terrific. I'd put them up against most of the good ones here in Dallas.

Dallas posters:

My favorite Tex-Mex restaurants up here in DFW:
    --Uncle Julio's (Oak Lawn area and Addison/Far North Dallas on the Tollway)
    --La Hacienda Ranch, with locations in Frisco, Carrollton, and Colleyville (great atmosphere--my husband always takes his Yankee relatives there when they visit from Chicago.) The Texas frozen margarita is my favorite.
    --Mattito's near downtown is also good.
    --for a neat patio and great atmosphere, Joe T. Garcia's (near the Stockyards in Fort Worth) is fun, but the food is merely average.

5. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Papacitos
    Uncle Julio's
    Ojeda's in Dallas (in the bad part of town)
    Blue Goose

La Hacienda is ok....not a big fan of it overall. i woud rather go to El Fenix over La Hacienda.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

How could I leave the Blue Goose off of my list? That was an oversight.

What have you traditionally ordered at La Hacienda Ranch? I've only gone to the Frisco location, but have always really liked the fajitas.

El Fenix is also good.

Pappacito's is okay, but I'd go to the others on my list over them.

I've never gone to Ojeda's. Which bad part of town is it located in?

7. Ectopic Tiger

Ectopic Tiger Founding Member

In Baton Rouge, I've never gone anywhere but Superior. Best Margaritas I've ever had (I usually don't drink Margaritas). Crawfish Enchiladas kick ass.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like the food at Superior Grill but their margaritas aren't all that good. Its like they use some kind of a mix instead of making them from scratch.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think Mamacita's is out of business. Their last location on Bluebonnet and Perkins is now a Buffalo Wild Wings place. There is a Papacitos' across the parking lot from there where Sicily's used to be but their food is pretty bland and generic.

I like the El Patio on Airline across from Cortana Mall. Its the only Mexican restaurant in Baton Rouge that I know if that is actually owned and run by real Mexicans.

About Casa Maria: Last year I ate in a Mexican place near Houston in the Clear Lake area that was in some strip mall. I had some kind of platter that had enchalidas, tacos, burritos, chile con casa, and a lot of other stuff on it that taste fantastic. I had 2 top shelf margaritas and a beer. The lady I was with had a taco salad and 3 margaritas. The bill before tip came to about $32. A couple of weeks after that I ate at Casa Maria by myself. I had some kind of platter that didn't have near as much food on it as the one I got in Houston and wasn't nearly as good. I had 1 margarita and 1 beer. The bill for that was $42 before tip.

10. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

$42 for mexican.......holy sh**......that is unbelievable.......if you ever are in orlando go to a place called amigos......you can get stuffed for around $10-$15 and on 2 for 1 nite get blasted for another $10 more.