Best National Title game you ever watched?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Dec 29, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

lamar thomas was drafted for sure. maybe from miami to miami?

teague was a late 1st rounder I think... I know the packers got him.

Bama had so much talent... they had like 3 or 4 gone in the 1st round.

john copeland and eric curry went in the top 5 as bookend DE's, much like Spears and Hill. More proof defense wins championships. You can bet no offensive player was taken in the top 4 or 5 rounds from that team, if drafted at all. man, what a defense. antonio london was on that squad as well...not sure if drafted that year or the next but he was pretty solid.

this was the same draft bledsoe and mirer went 1 and 2. rick mirer=ryan leaf.

2. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

couldn't have said it better myself

1 person likes this.
  3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

From CFN:

No 42 - The Irish trapped the Bear
    Notre Dame 24Alabama 23 December 31, 1973 Sugar Bowl
    In the first ever meeting between these two powerhouse, the pre-game hype was stifling with the two undefeated teams squaring off for the national title in front of a Sugar Bowl record crowd. The Irish pulled off the win against the No. 1 ranked Tide in a game that featured six lead changes. The Irish got the winning score when Bob Thomas, who had missed two earlier kicks, nailed a 19-yarder with 4:26 to play, but there was still a lot of excitement left. Bamas Greg Garritt put a 69-yard punt on the Irish one-yard line. Garritt was roughed and Bama couldve taken back possession of the ball, but Bear Bryant chose to decline the penalty and hope his defense could stuff the Irish. The decision backfired as Tom Clements connected with Robin Weber on a 36-yard pass that got the Irish out of trouble, and sealed the national championship. In a game full of big plays, the best was a trick play from Bear Bryant as Bama quarterback Richard Todd handed the ball off to Mike Stock who then hit Todd for a touchdown pass.
    Historical Significance: Besides the second-guessed decision by the Bear, this was one time when the latest Game of the Century was able to live up to all the hype. Alabama was 11-0 again in 1974, and once again faced Notre Dame with the national title on the line. Once again, the Irish prevailed beating the Bear 13-11 in the 1975 Orange Bowl.

4. tirk

thanks! todd was the ole jets QB, right?

declined the penalty? now thats funny. i thought you'd throw out some more names I knew. guess not.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Game I saw in person (excluding ours last year) was VT/FSU. Vick was unbelievable. Plus, it was the first NC game I had been too.

6. cajdav1

I'm raking my brain but it's not working too good this late.

7. tirk

\
    you have to remember richard todd as the jets Qb. i know i do.

8. cajdav1

Actually I remember Tood more for the trade the Saints made giving up I believe 2 number ones, maybe just one, for Todd. I also remember being at one of the first night games when the Saints had the Jets beat pretty muuch. Late in the 4th the Saints sacked Todd deep in jets territory and while all the Saints players were celebrating Todd hurried up to the line and threw a quick deep pass down the right sidelines for a huge gain. The Jets then went on the score and win the game. Another Saints collapse, this time because they thought they had it won before the final gun.

9. tirk

that's the saints we know and love.

10. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Penn State vs. Alabama - goal line stand

Miami vs. Nebraska - Osborne goes for two and misses

1 person likes this.