Best QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ChuckE, Jul 18, 2003.

1. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

from 1970-Present? This is your opinion. Support your choice! IMO Tommy Hodson. He was a true leader, he didn't get excited and kept the team focused. He was excellent at reading the blitz, and could throw all the passes. He didn't have the strongest arm, but was not weak by any measure.

2. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

Rohan Davey...Big boy who was mobile (for his size) he was smart and could complete passes....he was a good leader, he didnt force anything (like Randall)......I have only been around for 13 years and ive been a LSU fans since the day i was born and i think Rohan Davey is the best QB we have had since then!!

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have to go with Rohan. I would have liked to seen what kind of stats Bert Jones would have piled up if he had played in the kind of wide open passing game that Davey played in.

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Since I went to games starting in 1982, I would say Davey because of the way he could get it done when he was in the game.

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Yeah, I think I would have to go with Davey, as well. I may a little biased in that I wasnt a tiger in the Hodson days, but Davey had it all. If only he had been given a shot earlier, we might be talking about our 2001 MNC rather than just the SECC. Could you imagine what might have been if the Davey-Reed duo started in 2000? Plus, aside from his talents, he is a born leader and all around class act.

6. jojo

jojo Freshman

I agree Davey, he was a warrior and just wanted to win.

7. GxLSU1

GxLSU1 Founding Member

Yeah thats what i was going to say.....good point....
    Dinardo didnt know Jack poop, he sucked in his final years at LSU.

8. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

I'll make a surprising pick--Herb Tyler. Had it not been for Tepper Herb would easily be the winningest QB in school history.

During Tyler's senior season we lit up most of our opponents, only to have our drop linebacker system squander a great offensive performance.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I guess I'll go with Rohan but Hodson and Herb are good choices too. I think all three had the intangibles you need to succeed at QB. Hodson had that game where he took stitches to his tongue at halftime and came back to lead LSU to victory. The struggles in Herb's last year were Tepper's fault, the LSU offense put points on the board. I felt so comfortable on 3rd down with Ro and Herb. They always seemed to pick up the 1st down, Herb with his legs or arm. I realize Bert Jones may deserve this honor but I wasn't around then. Also, Hodson & Herb probably had better careers, but Rohan had the best year that I've ever seen for an LSU QB.

10. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I would pick Tommy Hodson. 2 SEC Titles in 4 years (1986 & 1988), and LSU finished 1987 Ranked 5th in the Nation. Threw for over 9,000 yards and 69 TDs. I still beleive had Hodson been able to play against Bama in '87, I think we would have won that game, and been 10-0-1. Possibly playing for the MNC.