Best returning RBs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by mike5705, Aug 12, 2004.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

at this point he is better then faulk was at this time.. look bottom line i dont see why ur sayin he has no potential...

i think he has potential, just not potential to be a great nfl back like bush does---because of speed. i guess he CAN improve his speed, i just dont think it happens much at all---does lsu have a speed coach? i dont mean some guy they bring in twice a year, but someone who spends a lot of time with them? the little bit i've read about improving made me realize that it takes a lot of time.

i'm not sure i buy that vincent is better than faulk was as a freshman. not that i can really remember only faulk's first year, but i think faulk was just as elusive if not slightly more so. faulk was certainly better out of the backfield---but that might be because he was featured much more. i've also wondered how much of vincent's success is from the way defenses played us last year. it seems like vincent reputation is from a handful of big runs (in important situations) when defenses had 8 or 9 or more on the line. i guess i'd have to look at the stats from last year to see if i'm full of it. of course d's stacked up on faulk too.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah ya see, its harder to run with 8 or 9 on the line yet he started what...the last 6 games and still had over 1000 yards? you're still overlooking this dude and all he is thats whats bothering most who replied. you're selling this kid WAY SHORT.

let me explain it clearer since you seem to be hesistant to buy into JV and his true skillz.... He was a freshman who is now starting over 4....get this....4 upperclassmen who should be starting. he was 5th on the depth chart last year at this time yet now is better than the rest. He not only outran the best defenses in college football while putting on a clinic but he left their jocks in the dirt along the way.

name another player in this or any other league who was more impressive.

take the first RB to be picked in '05...Caddi?... who was more influential?

Ill answer for you. JV was. Who was faster? Caddi still is....so what.

Some players have it... I think caddi has it as well, he's just in the wrong situation.

would I draft Caddi over JV? At this point yes since JV has not even 1 year under his belt. Who will be better? Dont know...you can have the fastest back while Ill take the game breakers.

Whats fast to you? 4.3? none run a 4.3

caddi will be around 4.4 at the combine and JV will be a half second different.

you arent a homer if you see JV for what he is. A true superstar with a big future in the NFL. its ok to face the truth. sometimes its hard to realize what talent we truly have here.

JV could run circles around emmitt in the 40....emmitt is the NFL all time leading rusher. I guess he wasnt great according to your credentials?

3. yellowex

yellowex Founding Member

haha i didnt mean emmit was faster tirk just sayin but good posts. maybe that will get gumborue back on track

4. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

Justin Vincent got run down by a 4.55 player in Derrick Strait. There is a reason Derrick Strait wasn't drafted very highly-- speed. Justin Vincent BTW, in reality is an upper classman. He is from the class of '02 which puts him in the class with Skyler. At 21 years old, you will not get that much faster. A 4.6 player does not turn into a 4.3er.

Emmitt Smith is a giant exception to the speed rule. And Emmitt Smith also happened to be one of the strongest lower body players who has ever played the game. He also started a true freshman I believe. So Emmitt isn't exactly a good comparison.

Either way, my bet is that Justin Vincent goes down as a great college RB. Which isn't all bad. If he has a career like Troy Davis, I'd be ecstatic.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

I dislike USC just as much as anyone here but Reggie Bush is a damn good player.

6. yellowex

yellowex Founding Member

justin's a 4.5 not a 4.6 and strait does not run a 4.5.. justin ran a 4.3 at combine his senoir year theres no reason he cant get at least back to a 4.4 if he works on it.. once again its not all about speed.. he can make the plays.. speed isnt everything.. its what u can do on the field

7. yellowex

yellowex Founding Member

also ive seen plenty of people work on their speed and improve it a great deal being the age he is or older.. look at top sprinters they got some old people and they still can fly.. and they work hard to maintain it and im sure at one time they had to work to get that fast.. if they can maintain it for that long.. im pretty sure he can improve on his speed.. and one more thing .. im 20 and i know if i wanted to improve my speed i could do it all it takes is work