Best statement!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Re: Saban vs Sherrill part 2

I don't care as long as its not a job interview

2. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw J.S. getting interviewed. I think J.S.'s future is already set and he has accepted it.

3. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

I noticed that too. I looked up and saw the interview and thought there was a break in the game or something. Then I see a play going on in the background! Talk about unprofessional!

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

That's not exactly true. Right now, Saban has pretty much maxed out the amount a major could CAN pay him. He's pretty much at the top of the list. I don't see any major college paying much more than $2 million in the immediate future.

However, pro teams are already in the $5 million range. Obviously, a team like the Saints would never pay that much money for a coach, BUT a team like Chicago might.

So, there is SOME incentive to go to the NFL.

On the other hand, no NFL team is going to give you a series of 6 year deals which adds another year after each year. IN other words, Saban has a GUARANTEED 5 year contract FOREVER. If LSU ever decides to get rid of him, LSU will need to pay him for another 5 years.

With the NFL - YOU GET WHAT YOU SIGN.

With Spurrier, he was making approximately $2 million/year with the Gators. With the Redskins, he got a 5 year deal at $5 million a year. So, NO MATTER WHAT, Spurrier will get $25 million - even if he is fired. He would have had to coach at Florida another 12.5 years to make the same money he will make in D.C. in five.

And, the beauty part for Spurrier is that if he bombs at Washington and is fired any time soon, he'll still get that $25 million and then will be welcomed with open arms by ANY major college football power. I'm sure the powers that be have that scenario in mind when Zook can't do anything in the next three years in Gainesville.

5. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The NFL will always be there for Nick. He doesn't have to jump at the next offer.

Right now he has a shot at the national championship in the next few years and I think he will try for it. He is under no pressure here, like he would be in the NFL, where he would be taking over a losing team.