Best suggestion I've seen for expanding the playoffs without actually expanding the number of games

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 3, 2017.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Sorry you just can't be national champion if your not a conference champion. It just doesn't make any since to me. So either they mean something or do away with conferences all together.

didit, GiantDuckFan and TheRealist like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I wouldn’t call it brilliant.

I actually like the conference championship games, and going back to regular season metrics (tie-breakers and what-not)? Bleh! All to make college football more like the NFL?

I’d rather reduce the length of the regular season by one (but nobody is really concerned about length of season).

I like 8 teams. I like auto bids for conference champs (top 6 P5, top 10 G5). Probably have to throw in a caveat for ND (top 4 IND). Then top 10 at-large for conferences not represented (or IND). Then top 10 at-large. I like hosting round 1 at the higher seed’s stadium (though weather in Wisconsin might be dicey).

Could the regular season be improved? Probably so, especially the SEC rotation. But not for the sake of making the national championship more efficient (more like the NFL, throw out the pageantry and history).

1 01 Clemson ACC
    2 02 Oklahoma BIG12
    3 03 Georgia SEC
    4 05 Ohio St BIG10
    5 10 UCF AAC
    6 08 USC PAC12
    7 04 Alabama AT-LARGE
    8 06 Wisconsin AT-LARGE

Seed according to playoff rankings. Host at the higher seeded conference champ, or at higher seeded team.

10 UCF @ 01 Clemson
    08 USC @ 02 Oklahoma
    06 Wisconsin @ 03 Georgia
    04 Alabama @ 05 Ohio St

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    CaryLab, fanatic and Pjoe like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can't agree with that. A 12-1 or 11-1 team eliminated while a 10-3 or even 9-4 team makes the playoffs for winning a weak conference? Sounds like when the 11-5 wild card Saints had to travel to play 7-9 division winner Seattle. And what about Notre Dame? They aren't in a conference. As much as I hate them there are seasons when they deserve to be allowed to compete for the crown. I like lsu-i-like's plan except that should be no automatic spot for a Group of 5 team. Sure, UCF deserves it this year but in most years the G5 entrant would just be cannon fodder for the top seed. The AAC title game was a lot closer than the regular season blowout. If Memphis would have won they still wouldn't deserve to run with the big dogs.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Only thing wrong with that is who gets in if there is a tie and the teams hadn't played each other? Ot a 3 way tie with the head to head being equal? This year Auburn would have been champ of the SEC because they beat both Bama and Georgia in the regular season. But what if LSU had beaten Alabama? There would have been a 3 way tie but LSU and Georgia didn't play each other. Would LSU have been the champ by virtue of beating the team that beat the team they didn't play? Would Georgia be champs for being 11-1 and LSU and Auburn would both have been 10-2? Would Auburn be champ for being ranked the highest by the biased human poll voters?

6. lsu-i-like

Top 10 caveat for G5 Champs. If not champs, they gotta compete like the rest of us for scraps.

7. lsu-i-like

The tiebreaker would eventually go to ratings, which I believe is already in play when divisional champs are selected for the conference championship.

8. lsu-i-like

The bottom line is it could definitely be improved, and it wouldn’t be all that hard.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Gump

;)

furduknfish likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've decided to go with a full back tattoo of Bear Bryant and Nick Saban standing on pedestals high fiveing each other. Of course Nicky's pedestal will have to be on a box so it's high enough to where their hands can meet.

How are things in Muskogee? Are y'all still respecting the college dean and not making a party out of loving?

lsu-i-like and shane0911 like this.