Best suggestion I've seen for expanding the playoffs without actually expanding the number of games

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've decided to go with a full back tattoo of Bear Bryant and Nick Saban standing on pedestals high fiveing each other. Of course Nicky's pedestal will have to be on a box so it's high enough to where their hands can meet.

How are things in Muskogee? Are y'all still respecting the college dean and not making a party out of loving?

2. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

the saints example doesn't help your case as they lost that game...if you win your conference you are by rule the best team in your conference. so if you lose it or even dont play for it, how can you be the best team in the country. Like i said either they means something or do away with conferences.

didit, shane0911 and BAY0U BENGAL like this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yep, that would easily eliminate weak conference champs.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I like the idea (mine, of course) of adding a single game to play the who gets the 4th spot. Every year there needs to be a discussion about who deserves 4 or not. Play that game with the same injuries and circumstances that decided it to begin with. Had OSU been forced to play Bammer, there is no question of who is more deserving. If Conference champ is not gonna be considered, then play that game and let the refs decide...the tide.

Still gotta be a conference championship game though otherwise, why have conferences? But if it is not gonna matter how that 4th spot is established, the burden will have to be playing both games. That is the cost to losing to iowa or troy. Sure eliminates any arguement IMO.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

8 team playoff.
    1. P5 champs; Must be ranked in the top 12 to qualify. Any who fail to qualify fall to at-large pool.
    2. Best of G5; Must be ranked in the top 16 to qualify.
    3. At-large pool based on rank as determined by committee.
    4. Conference champions are placed in bracket before at-large, regardless of rank.

Under this scenario
    #1 Clemson
    #2 OU
    #3 UGA
    #4 OSU
    #5 USC
    #6 UCF
    #7 Bama
    #8 Wisconsin

Auburn would be the loser in the scenario due to UCF being placed.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Conference Championship games for the power 5 conferences should be the first round of the playoffs...plus 4 other invites. That includes 14 teams in the first round.

el005639 likes this.
  7. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Think you have to go top 10 or 12 on the G5 teams. The P5 conference champs and 3 at-large including a top-12 ranked G5 team, if available. Shorten the regular season by one game if necessary...that needs to mean eliminating one cupcake if it happens. But I doubt it will.

I do like the ranking caveat on P5 champ though. It's nothing for the SEC East to serve up a division champ that's poo. It didn't happen this year, but consider Mizzou's first year in SEC when they won the east. Granted they got steamrolled in conference title game (I think) but suppose they had a perfect day. So a P5 conference champ has to be ranked in top 10 for automatic entry? It usually happens anyway. This year would've actually been easy if it was 8 teams. All the conference champs are top 10, then you've got obvious at-larges in Bama, UCF, and Wisconsin.

mctiger and stevescookin like this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Sorry but I’m against expansion beyond 4. It’s getting too much like basketball and will devalue the regular season. I don’t think any team ranked lower than 4 should be included. I don’t want it to devolve into a tournament where a team that that loses more than 2 games is in like NCAA BB or NFL.
    It will never be perfect and yes worthy teams will be left out on occasion BUT it should never be allowed to surpass the regular season.
    I think the committee takes its job seriously and succeeds in selecting the 4 best and most deserving teams.

didit and CajunlostinCali like this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I disagree, respectfully. I know it’s not professional ball but in all pro sports you don’t have to win a conference or division to win a title. And ever since 2011 college football has made it clear that winning your conference means jack shit. The only thing I’ve seen consistently in regards to conference championship games is that the loser of that game generally gets fucked even if that is their first loss, exception being OU in 2003

Bengal B likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Supporters of both Alabama and Ohio State have a good point. Both deserve inclusion. Somebody suggsted they shuld play each other for the 4th seed. Thats actually not a bad idea and would easily be doable. They could play next week.
    It could be determine on a year to year basis. If next season or any future season there was more than one such situations there could be 2, 3 or up to 4 playin games to determine the final 4.

And what's wrong with the way basketball or the NFL do it? March Madness is one of the greatest sporting events of the year. 68 teams all with a chance. A lot with a mere ghost of a chance to be sure but a chance. Look at the faces of the fans of teams like Butler, VCU or George Mason when their team overcomes all odds to reach the final 4.

Opponents of expansion always talk about "devaluing the regular season." HORSE HOCKEY! The regular season is played to determine who will compete for the ultimate crown. How does giving a few more deserving teams that opportunity devalue anything. Baseball use to only have 2 teams that could be in the World Series. The NFL at one time matched the winner of the east division against the west winner for the NFL championship. 2 teams...1 game. It's a lot better now because they were willing to change.

Rouxleaux likes this.