Best True Freshman Campaign........

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 14, 2011.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The question I have about #14 is will he be a successful corner? He seems like a guy who is better suited for a strong safety role where he is able to roam the field and make plays, rather than play corner and be on an island, one on one. However, at 5'9" 180 he is very undersized for safety.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A. J. Duhe started from game one as a freshman in 1973 and played four years at LSU at defensive end before becoming a star NFL linebacker. That happens about once a generation.

3. PGizle

PGizle Veteran Member

Man this defense was so fun to watch this year and watching that 18 yr old running around making plays like that was the best part . Am I the only who thinks this2010 signing class is starting to look ridiculously underrated?

4. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Justin Vincent def led our offense to the national championship the last few games...but he was a redshirt freshman.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Glad you brought that up as it's something I wanted to debate with someone level-headed enough to know that I wasn't bashing Tyrann...

As GREAT as an impact player as he's been, anyone notice that the majority of his highlights come as a blitzing CB in the nickel/dime package?

Sure, he's made some fine plays in coverage either to break up a pass or get the INT. But take the Cotton Bowl for instance. He was in the WR's hip pocket. I thought he had good coverage but was outjumped by a WR that, at probably 6'0" (IF THAT) is no where near the height level of front-line WR's out there.

...now, I know every DB will get burned for a touchdown and I'm not saying that even the best don't get beat once in awhile. I'm just pointing out that as a nickel back, he might be one of the most dominant defenders in the country... but as a #2 CB...I worry that his Superman skills get somewhat picked apart.

Thoughts?

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

AtlantaBengal said
    You have a point, but on the Cotton Bowl play you exampled, that was one of those only-place-you-could-put-it-and-complete-it throws. If QB's have to be that accurate 7,8 times a game against TM, I like his odds of making a lot of big plays in the passing game.

7. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

You're probably right. It may also be a case of me seeing a trend (i.e. his biggest plays coming off the corner during blitzes out of the nickel), developing a fear/worry, and then seeing it happen.

Again, I DO believe he's a talent.... I'm just wary of naming him the next PP or Corey Webster JUST yet because I would hate to see his confidence (and the fans confidence in him) take a tumble if his weaknesses were covered up for most of the season.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok, so alot of people keep naming off offensive freshman that had a huge impact, but I am yet to see a defensive player get named other than Laron Landry and A.J. Duhe. Is it safe to say Tyrann had the biggest impact of any true freshman defender in the history of LSU football, or could you at least put him in conversation?

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Absolutely, and I wouldn't take the input of other players by some as a dispute to your claim, but rather more of a testiment to how many great players we have had. LSU has had a ton of talent over history that has come in and made immediate impact on the team. That said it takes a special player to come in and be a game changer like T Rex.

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Exactly, we just has so many great freshmen start and make a tremendous impact while Ty was was put in for situations that best fit his unique talents. However, if you want to look at who made the biggest impact per time on the field than Tyrann might be right at the top of the list.

I wish freshmen were able to play from 1954 through 1971, then we'd have guys like Cannon, Robinson, Taylor, Rabb, Jones, Casanova, Hamilton, Rice, Garlington, Anderson, Bevan, MacFarland, etc. to consider too.

Anyway, the true freshmen I'd put at the top are Faulk, Duhe, Vincent, Spears, Williams, Big Ben, Peterman, Lafauci, Faneca, Dorsey, Brooks.