Better to be in the West?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Indy is correct. Arkansas was a fixture in recruiting the State of Texas during it's tenure with the SWC. As a kid, I attended many Ark games in both Texas and Little Rock (War Memorial) and the Hogs were a football power that could not be taken lightly. Broyles had Bear Bryant-like power during an era where the wishbone and power football were to be feared.

Texas was, back then, T-H-E premier recruiting territory, along with Pennsylvania. The teams that were successful in recruiting Texas - like Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, etc. - were the teams that were winning titles. My how things change, as we now see Florida and California as premier territories to rival Texas.

2. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Lack of effort or incompetence?

I don't know of any program that is that good as to expect recruits to line up at the door without showing much interest in them, because another program will show the interest.

If a D1A college football coach doesn't have the motivation to go out and pound the pavement, I really can't consider that person to be highly competent as well. Recruiting is a very important part of the job.

By the way, the 1964 Arkansas team posted a perfect 11-0-0 record and were clearly National Champions. They gave up 64 total points in 11 games.

That team/defense posted 5 shut-outs in a row.

3. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

I'm not familiar enough with the Ark program to have an opinion on Nutt with regards to the details of his recruiting efforts, so I'm not debating you on this point; I simply don't know.