BHelm, did JC Copeland play fullback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

How does it sound like a few downs when we have half the season left?:dis: Now if he failed his audition and rarely plays this season then maybe so but can't come close to assuming that yet especially with a solid performance.

2. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It is hard for some to see past the last game played.:miles:

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Sorry disagree. Watch how many plays he is in there by the end of the year AT FULLBACK, complete waste of a RS year. :dis::dis: For someone that I believe could be a very very good DT or even DE, a waste of a year. At least if he were blowing his year for playing time at DE or DT that would make sense, this is just dumb as is.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

if he contributes it isn't a waste.

5. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

If that were the case then you wouldn't redshirt anyone. You can get them all on the field to contribute, the goal is to get them to contribute near potential. Yes, a waste playing this kid at FB. IMHO, you are free to disagree with me and that is fine. You can easily put a TE in there on short yardage if you are in a bind ie Clement. I mean Copeland isn't going to run the ball I hope.

6. LaSalleAve

so in your opinion playing ryan baker the last 2 years on special teams was a waste? Eric Reid playing on special teams a waste too? what's the difference. If the guy can step in and create some holes, and become a bad ass fullback, why not? I will leave the coaching decisions up to the coaches.

7. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Eric Reid has been playing.
    Ryan Baker was just waiting behind other players.

Copeland need a year since he is slightly undersized to compete on the DL. Long-term a stupid move for a few plays for Copeland. He needs time to build strength and little size.

What is good for one player might not be good for another. Each player is different. Copland has potential to be a special player on the DL, not at FB.

Special teams can actually be 10 plays a game easy. I seriously doubt you will see Copeland in the game for 10 plays a game. Just my guess.

8. dudley

dudley oops!

Hard to predict the future but this could be a special season. If he can contribute, why sit him on the bench. Go for it!

9. LaSalleAve

how do you know that Copeland doesn't have potential to be a special FB?

10. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

All comes down to how well he performs at FB. If it's just an experiment this year and he doesn't play much, and then goes back to defense you can argue it was a waste. If he winds up playing a decent amount this year, and is our fullback going forward, it might be a good move.

I do have my doubts, however. At his listed 275 lbs, he is likely to be a one trick pony at fullback. Hard to imagine him doing anything other than coming in on short yardage and I formation running plays.

Actually, I hate the way Miles/Crowton uses the fullback on straight running plays. As soon a #35 jogs onto the field, everyone in the stadium knows its a run. I'd much rather have a more versatile fullback, so that we can call a mixture of plays out of the I formation.