Bias in the Sports Media (Especially ESPN)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Apr 14, 2008.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i said he was overrated before the game but he did have like 19 tackles.

albeit they were mostly in the secondary because he is a step slow so maybe there is some truth to it.

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i think i didn't convey my point that well. i said that "he makes a point about no one from the south being on espn" i shouldn't have said "he made a point" i shouldhave said "he stated". i was stating that he was wrong because i'm pretty sure rece davis went to bama.

secondly (not sure if you are joking or not) while there aren't many southern accents in broadcasting there are many people from the south in broadcasting. no, there's no twang involved but not all southerners have accents (like me for instance although if I do it's much more of a New orleans accent than southern).

lastly, i'm aware entertainment is the goal of sports analysts. nevertheless we live in a system where a large majority of how a champion is crowned is media opinion. most of that media can't watch 119 teams play and instead get their info from other media outlets (of which espn is the most prominent). because of that espn does a great bit of swaying opinion not only of the dregs like me but also of the media that puts teams in positions to be champions. for that reason, it's not all entertainment.

3. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

blah blah blah? sorry to bore you with a different perspective. this board actually embraces that for the most part, one of the reasons i like it here. if you think that this kind of attacking trash talking journalism can't be directed at your team in the future, you should look around. it's already happened, though i don't recall it being quite as juvenile as this guys rant. As fans, we are the only ones that can hold the networks accountable, if we want good honest reporting on a sport we all love, then we need to do so. if you would prefer this guys style, there are bathroom stalls all over america with preseason predictions you should check out:wave:

4. buckeye78

they were in the secondary mostly because our Dline got manhandled, and combo blocks were seemingly unstoppable. Lil Animal is a beast, and will make a lot of money in the pros one day, which speaks a little for his charachter, as he came back (a la Dorsey), to help his team, rather than cash in.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

dorsey had a cracked shin from the ole myth game and was advised to return. the spin after was just a feel-good story but it certainly paid off for both parties.

i like Laurinaitis but think he is overrated a bit due to one aj hawk the previous year. i dont question his character however and will be happy when he gets drafted and signed.

6. buckeye78

that's a good point, and i'm sure it contributed to his rep, however...people also said that AJ Hawk was overrated, and Laurinaitis stepped in for Bobby Carpenter in the UM game his freshman year and held his own. I've heard nothing from Todd Mcshay other than how Gholston is overrated also. year after year, we stock the NFL, yet all of those players are somehow overrated. Just goes to show that ratings are more important than truth.

7. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

yeah i heard mcshay today slam gholston.

i think his measurables are too good to overlook but we won't know anything until he gets in an NFL game. same for dorsey, same for long, same for ryan....etc.

8. urtoosmall

urtoosmall Founding Member

Uhh... I don't think this is a real article by The Sporting News (not that it is any good to begin with).... the article is way too emo.

Just a random Georgia fan's post on his Sporting News Blog.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Case in point...Tim Brando was a sports anchor on WAFB years ago.

Boom shocka locka.

Nevermind

[​IMG]

10. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

first, i also feel that espn is a bit, not anti-sec, but anti-lsu. i wondered if espn televising the gator spring game was (1) because tebow=heisman and (2) yet another chance to snub lsu. i could see either the heisman winner or the recent national champ as being a good choice for first spring game begin televised by espn. of course they choose tebow because they are all attached to him at the balls (of course, for many of them, it's lips to balls) :wave:

nothing against uscvball, but usc has been the media darlings for a very long time. oh but how quickly espn releases the lip lock with pete carroll when usc has an unfortunate game or two. but that's okay, because they always have oklahoma and ohio state to fall back on. hell they might even fall back to the gators or the dawgs.

epsn and herbstreit are all about any team that accomplishes something if that team is not lsu. they pimp their alma maters and personal faves on us as if we are unknowing sponges eager to absorb anything and everything they say. accountability to these sports analysts would be a wonderful thing that will not come to pass any time soon. they need ratings. controversy and team pimping gets them ratings.

perhaps they look at it this way: if a team is doing well and gaining audiences in more areas than their local or conference viewing area, that means more people are watching tv looking for information about that team. so they pimp the success to gain ratings for themselves. in all actuality, if this is the case, it makes damn good business sense. give the viewers what they want, and they will keep watching.

this was even true with lsu. when lsu was doing so well, many talking heads on espn were pimping us like there was no tomorrow. we were also getting national reconition with other video and printed media outlets. there were new found lsu tiger fans all over the country. then we lost to kentucky. suddenly everything was "miles is going to michigan", "maybe lsu isn't as good as we thought they were", and "look how good team X is doing". and the whole while, herbstreit still had faith in the darling usc and pete carroll and still was shoving osu in our faces (perhaps just in case we had forgotten about them).

i think, some of us (us being college football fans in general) often forget or overlook the fact that espn and other media outlets who cover college sports are not unbiased reporters of sports news. instead, they are a sports oriented entertainment resource. they see their job as providing sports related entertainment that focuses on the hot teams, the hot sports, and the hot players. reporting the news is merely a catalyst for the hype and "analysis" that gets the viewers to tune in.

one more thing: for the record, i agree with buckeye78 - calling out players is unprofessional, unnecessary, and serves no purpose to support the article with any type of credibility.

of course all this is nothing more than my thoughts and opinions on the matter. take it for what it's worth.

1 person likes this.