Bias in the Sports Media (Especially ESPN)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Apr 14, 2008.

1. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

The bad thing is that ESPN is not unbiased, but I think they have a huge influence on how teams end up being ranked, by virtue of their coverage, in amount and if it's positive or negative.

I think the fact that the Herbsteit and some others pushed OSU/Mich rematch last year, we almost had Mich, who just lost to OSU, with another shot.

C'mon, that was ridiculous, there was Fla. with an equal record and a tougher schedule, and Mich. who had a shot and lost. That seemed a no brainer.

And I got so sick of hearing "style points"

And then, the excuses, OSU didn't show up. That wasn't the problem, the problem was, Fla. did.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

And Brando actually started on country radio in Baton Rouge before that. He used to broadcast high school football games on Friday nights, and my dad would broadcast with him--when my dad's team played on a Thursday night.

On the accent note: my dad, who I notice no accent from in person, had a bit of a Southern drawl (not accent) when he was on radio or TV.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

he does have an accent he masks well. and he used to bash lsu on local radio for years, almost like finebaum lite. he's since come around when LSU became a household name and piled on the bandwagon.

ive since overlooked it since he does a good job.

4. buckeye78

buckeye78 Founding Member

Not to rehash all of this, but, i can't keep silent... if you think that the buckeyes showed up that day, then you didn't watch them at all any other time, and you're buying into the ESPiN story of the game, and what they're telling you about the buckeyes. Pretty fashionable, but unfortunately, not true. If it is, then we should just only let the SEC play every year, and just declare the conference champ the national champ, and save ourselves lots of money, chips, beer and hangovers :grin: come on, don't get so wrapped up in the hype of what's been a great run for the SEC, into believing that they are some sort of juggernaut that's can't be beaten by mere mortals. That Florida team was good, but not unbeatable, just like the buckeyes...one team showed up and one did not. Corrollary being, the same UM team that was held to 91 total yards by the bucks this year, scored 40+ and beat FL and the mighty Tebow this year, despite the bucks getting beat in another MNC. the rigor of the SEC schedule sets teams up very well to show up big in big games, it doesn't mean that these aren't all D1 athletes capable of competing regardless of which conference they play in, ie...isn't it possible that talent isn't the problem?

2 people like this.
  5. Berge

Berge Founding Member

If a team doesn't show up to the NC game, something is wrong. I don't buy it. No group of men will "show up" for 12 games, and then for the most important one not. Teams start out sluggish, that's realistic, but then they come up to speed.

If that were the Peach Bowl, I'd let it slide. It wasn't. If that were their 10th game in a row, I'd agree that they were tired. It wasn't.

You can blame it on one of three things:

Troy Smith was that team, and he got embarrassed by the Florida defense.
    Urban Meyer completely out coached the Vest.
    There was a talent discrepancy.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lukky Lou

Lukky Lou Founding Member

Hey, Herbstreit! Go see the Wizard of Oz. When he's done with your brain, tell him to plug in a couple of new eyeballs too. :eek:

7. Lukky Lou

Lukky Lou Founding Member

Let's rehash this! I'm confused with your logic. Herbstreit, your team just got a "repeat" SEC dogging in back to back years, the latest being an old fashioned, bayou-style beating in New Orleans that I saw with my own eyes. Any supposedly intelligent human being (that you claim to be) and that can "see" and knows football KNOWS that OSU can't hang with the big dogs.

You keep chirping away like an ESPN-trained parrot telling us we should have seen OSU play during the year.

Hey, man! We did! Illinios, a Zookie coached athletic bunch without any depth showed us what an athletic team could do to your bunch. After they took you guys into the 4th, I knew LSU would beat a drum on the Buckeyes!

Better enjoy the ride, because when Zook gets a full load of athletes, you won't even win your own conference.

And if you think OSU is gonna hang with USC, :lol: you are truly delusional.

Herbstreit isn't "all the king's horsemen" and when Humpty (OSU) gets beat badly by USC, you can kiss a NC goodbye, even with one loss.

AMERICA ain't buying your OSU "hype" anymore.

You got that, Herbstreit?

8. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Especially when all we heard from the media was that OSU was tired of hearing about last year and how slow they were and would open up a can of whoop a$$ on LSU. Oh well. It must be bad coaching.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

He's demonstrated much intelligence, has been a good guest, and deserves more respect than the jibber jabber smack you're spewing.

Then I'm delusional too. OSU returns 18 starters and went into spring with questions about DE. USC still doesn't know who the starting QB will be...kinda sorta, anyway.

And I ain't buyin your horsechit either.

Tweet tweet.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

you just have to find someone to phuck with dont you lol

vieux cochon