Bias in the Sports Media (Especially ESPN)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Apr 14, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

if he has my text alert to tune into his show is still being sent. i usually listen to the show during lunch and go listen to it online later just to soak it all in to get a feel for his knowledge of the game. but i haven't doubled up lately. ill have to check.

2. wpak

wpak Founding Member

they cancelled his show for low ratings, and probably too many choking threat e-mails lol. just right after they signed him to like a 4 year deal, so now you can see him on sportcenter and various programs and such. his show was pretty cool, he seemed to tone it down a bit,but I guess people saw him on other shows and were thinking, "Like hell if I'm going to let that A-hole yell at me for 30 minutes"

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

thats too bad. and honestly, quite surprising. i thought having jamele hill on all the time and bashing favre was brilliant, and gave him an edge. surprised his ratings dipped.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

damn tb3 you've let me down tremendously. we backed into finding out he was cancelled. you're not worthy to use that avatar anymore.

:hihi::hihi:

i got nuttin but love for ya. holla atcha boy.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

damn.
    elisha cuthbert should suffice.

the avatar isnt as good as this one

[​IMG]

6. tirk

Quite frankly,
    Im all for it.

that one's for you, SAS.

7. wpak

wpak Founding Member

I'll second that!

8. XofDallas

XofDallas Freshman

I do believe ESPN is biased - not necessarily against any team or region, but for any team that's in or near the NY-Boston area. My shining example:

Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College:

Against Virginia Tech (I watched the whole game), Ryan was completely clueless, threw two legitimate ints and, frankly, looked like a highschool quarterback way out of his depth. At 57 minute mark, BC is down 10-0 (VT never put the game away). Ryan needs an onside kick recovery to win game. Stats still show 2 TDs, 2 INTs and a whopping whole 14 points to show for it. ESPN, unbelievably, crows the next day as to how Ryan solidified his position and is close to locking up the Heisman. From where I watched, the guy just plain stank. I watched 2 games Ryan played after that one, and he was mediocre in those games too (one win, one loss, again with 2 legitimate (meaning, ball was not tipped, etc.) INTs in the loss).

My conclusion: Ryan is projected as a top 10 draft pick largely, if not solely, because of the ESPN hype.

Ah well... time to get off the soapbox and let someone else step up and rant for a while.

All the best,
    X

9. tirk

kiper has a habit of picking the qbs from the lower tiered schools and it bites him in the ass more often than not.

ill go with the qb against proven competition. boston college doesnt count.

this mcshay is on his jock too. im not sure how this mcshay guy was created right before our eyes as some guru scout but im not buying it.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I haven't read most of the posts in this thread because the whole issue of the entire United States not 100% glorifying LSU football doesn't worry me.

Look, 1958 was the last time we had a Tiger football team finish the season undefeated. That LSU team was led by a guy that went on to win the Heisman the next year in 1959 (and Hollywood made a movie about that guy in the 80's). LSU's steak at #1 in the AP Poll from 1958 to 1959 (14 weeks straight) is one of the greatest achievements in the history of American college football. Since then, only Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Florida State and Miami have done what we did.

No SEC team has ever beaten our record at 14 weeks straight at #1 in the AP that was set by the Billy Cannon-led LSU Tigers of 1958-59. The only SEC team that has come close to our record is Bear Bryant's Alabama, whose best streak at #1 in the AP poll was 7 weeks, only half of what LSU was able to accomplish.

1 person likes this.