Biblical Flood: Actual Event or Myth

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    You are telling me those pictures don't look similar to the Grand Canyon?

2. flabengal

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not a scientist and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that shit looks similar to me....the Grand Canyon is just bigger. I'm sure you are embarassed for me now.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It all looks like the work of millions of years of erosion

4. flabengal

Well, that's one explanation. The other is a catastrophic flood event. They concede a flood caused the first series of pictures but deny that for the second series.

I assume it's because the Grand Canyon is so big they can't come up with theory to explain such a big flood without sounding like they are endorsing the Biblical Deluge.

And to endorse the Deluge would result in rapid demotion to Podunk College.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You know sport I've been reading this and must say there is a certain impressiveness in your stubbornness. However I suggest you go and do some serious studing on the basics of several areas before you come back and comment.
    1) Scientific method
    2) Physics, chemistry &Geology
    3) Biology & zoology & biochemistry
    4) History

@red55 has been trying to gently give you an education but you have tried to weave and dodge and ignore that to cling to your beliefs. Believe me a the photo you show of monument valley & the grand canyon do nothing to support your argument as the gross level they are taken from show none of the details that are critical to making the determination of what caused those formations. The same can be said of all your so called evidence. Please do serious study before you make arguments because what you are doing is undermining any credibility you have.

Look faith is not something that comes from the points you are arguing. Remember much of what you are arguing and defending is based on postulates made by people from several hundred to several thousand years ago. Do you believe the creation story literally? You say that you understand there is allegory in the bible. Some of the science that you argue against was developed by religious scientists including Jesuits. They didn't let it undermine their faith...neither should you.

Faith that there is a god who is the prime mover is not invalid whether the universe and earth is 6000 years old or 4/12 billion years old. Faith that Jesus is the son of god came down was crucified, died, was buried and arose on the 3rd day is not dependent on any scientific knowledge we have today. Take strength in your faith and embrace the quest of knowledge the human race has...after all if we were made in God's image you can say what we are doing is merely fulfilling his will.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Bengal B likes this.
  6. flabengal

It seems to me the answers are clearer if I have multiple posts in a sequence rather than a wall of text, so I will continue this way.

You can't mean that seriously. This is an Internet forum and we are all subject to the advantages and disadvantages inherent in them. Limiting posts to only those individuals formally trained or expecting those without formal training to "catch up" before they comment would bring the participation levels of this site to such a screeching halt no one would bother checking it.

Therefore, I assume what your comment really meant is that I am ignorant. To a certain degree you are correct but I have to point out that my participation on this site is helping improve my condition.

This is precisely why people visit the site.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Bengal B and LSUpride123 like this.
  7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

8. flabengal

I was not aware that I was dodging and weaving and ignoring. No wonder I have been tired.

In reference to the picture, I asked a question and no one has answered it. It was a sincere question. Those series of pictures do look similar to me. Is this not the case for anyone else?

I am fully aware that had I asked that question at a cocktail party full of scientists they would have cringed. That is one of the advantages of the internet. I am not really concerned here about my reputation. I am more interested in the information so I am not bothered by betraying my ignorance.

9. flabengal

This is an interesting post. I have to ask, why do you mention Jesuits and which Jesuits are you referring to? My lack of belief in evolution arose in college after taking the entry level course in anthropology. (I think that was course,I can't remember the title of the course) I read a lot of material on evolution afterwards and found the arguments pretty weak, really.

Creation story literally? No, I do not.

Faith in God? My Faith is not based on a literal interpretation of the Bible. I have stated this multiple times. My faith is more a result of reading philosophical arguments. I was not baptized catholic as a child and was not raised catholic. I became catholic in college and was baptized by a priest then.

I am aware that faith in Jesus as the second person of the holy trinity is not based on any scientific knowledge that we have today. I have never stated that the contrary was the case. How are you arriving at your conclusions about my position?

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I would never tell you not to post or participate...but I am suggesting you would be better served if you learn more about the subjects you are commenting on. It is always better to know what you are talking about and even better to understand the positions and basis of those on the other side of the debate. Knowledge is power.