Biblical Flood: Actual Event or Myth

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

1. A world-wide flood is a physical impossibility. Do you disagree? I can argue this. Evidence does not exist.

2. The legend of the Great Deluge has nothing whatsoever to do with evolution. Are you sure you understand what evolution is? Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations. Meteorological and geologic phenomenon such as floods have nothing to do with it. I don't see how you can argue that a legendary flood invalidates evolution. But I would like to hear it.

3. If you are making the unlikely suggestion that the Noah's Ark legend is also true, then make your case and I will happily debate that.

2. red55

Agreed.

What "historical proof" is there that Jesus existed? For that matter what archaeological proof is there?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You can look for links if you like but over the years I have heard a number of times that the man who became to be known as Jesus of Nazereth was an actual person who lived in those times. Whether he was devine or not depends on what you believe.

4. red55

My friend, the Lake Missoula floods were the biggest that science has discovered and they covered portions of Washington state and Oregon. They were not worldwide.

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-aug/06-biblical-type-floods-real-absolutely-enormous

This is a fundamentally erroneous conclusion.

1. Geologic time encompasses 5 billion years on earth. Slow and incremental process occurred for most of that time punctuated by catastrophic events, both of which are well documented in the geologic record.

2. Catastrophic events mean nothing in evolution. Evolution is about biological changes over time, not geological changes. Evolution proceeds much more rapidly than geological processes.

3. Geology and paleontology absolutely support evolution.

5. red55

In other words, there is no historical or archaeological evidence that Jesus existed. You made the statement.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you look for it you will probably find it. I didn't make it up. I heard it said before

7. red55

There were plenty of great floods and still are. When the known world consisted of Mesopotamia, a great flood in the Tigris and Euphreates rivers would have flooded the entire known world of those people. But the fact is that there does not exist on the planet enough water to cover the continents. If you maintain that there is, you must answer two questions. Where did this water come from and Where did it go?

8. red55

Please don't enter into a debate if you cannot back up your statements. Nobody else is going to try.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not a debate. Just saying what I heard. Here is a link since you were too obstinate or lazy to look. There are lots more links on the same subject.

http://y-jesus.com/wwrj/1-jesus-real-person/

10. red55

No, Darwin says that species evolved over time though natural selection as they adapt to their changing environments. It does not always take million of years. Sometimes evolution happens much more rapidly as habitats change. Other times a species finds a niche for itself and evolution proceeds slowly because they don't have to adapt much further. Sharks and turtles have evolved slowly because they are well adapted for their environments. Conversely the fish in east African lakes have evolved rapidly due to rapidly changing environments.