Biblical Flood: Actual Event or Myth

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You should read some of them. The one you cited offers not one shred of historical evidence that Jesus existed. It just goes over the ways people have attempted to get around this.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The epic of gilgamesh tells of a great flood and it predates the bible by, shit I don't know. A long damn time.

Tiger in NC and red55 like this.
  3. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Well, what is the point of debating this then? I was under the impression that evolution is not compatible with the Great Deluge. Is this not the case? Does evolutionary theory embrace the idea of a Biblical flood or not. This may be a poor topic choice on my part then.

4. flabengal

We went through this like 15 years ago or something. There is plenty of evidence that Jesus existed, and you know it.

You're just being difficult.

5. red55

I know nothing of the kind. Historical and archaeological evidence doesn't exist. Listing religious documents from generations later than Jesus' era is just not "evidence". Producing the evidence you speak of is what is difficult.

Understand that I do not maintain that Jesus never existed. The likelihood is high that he did, given the huge popularity of the religion based on his philosophies. I maintain that the archaeological and historical evidence BengalB mentioned do not exist.

Absence of evidence does not constitute evidence of absence.

6. red55

Good topic choice, poor correlation with the great deluge. Evolution neither embraces nor denies a great flood. However physics and geology deny a worldwide flood.

I am a great fan of the Noah story and the Tower of Babel story as ancient legends to explain phenomenon beyond contemporary reason. But science offers better understanding of language development and of the origin of species.

7. red55

The Moses story was also lifted from the Epic of Gilgamesh. He was the first documented heroic king. The Elvis of his time.:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't understand how a great flood could or would have prevented evolution, please elaborate.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yes I know. It was when I first started to question all this "wizard" stuff. Damnit, where are you martin.

See what college did for me

10. flabengal

Ok, I will go with the idea that current geological thought denying a worldwide flood is sufficient for the purpose here.