Biblical Flood: Actual Event or Myth

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Supposedly it would call into question the current understanding of the fossil record and/or the lengths of time involved. If you can prove the earth is less than 200,000 years old or that dinosaurs coexisted with mankind than evolution is wrong.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

By your reasoning evolution is right because the earth Is way older than 200,000 years old and dinosaurs had been extinct for millions of years before the appearance of man.

3. flabengal

If the earth is billions of years old and dinosaurs really were extinct for millions of years before the appearance of man then you are correct, evolution would be true.

Those are precisely some of the issues I intend to address. We'll see what happens...

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Red is correct about this. Only in the Bible, other early Christian writings and Church teachings will you find a historical reference to the Jesus to which you refer. Actual historians who have attempted to verify his existence have run up against several possible candidates but can never verify the existence of the Jesus referred to in the Bible. Many Christians would have you believe that there is indeed historical evidence of Jesus because that is what they have always been taught but it isn't true.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

This conversation, in essence, exemplifies my objection to allowing Creationism to be taught AT ALL in schools, whether public or private. When you replace Science with Myth, you end up with people who assume that their little story about the big boat and big flood are actually scientific data. That we allow these zealots to lie to our children in the name of religious freedom and freedom of speech is an absurdity beyond measure.

red55 likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Then who has proved this? Nobody.

The roughly 5 billion year age of Earth has been proven. The extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago has been proven. The ascent of Man has been a gradual thing, as evolution tends to be. Primates diverged from other mammals and their earliest fossils appear around 55 million years ago. The family Hominidae diverged from the Gibbon family 15-20 million years ago, and around 14 million years ago, the Orangutans diverged from the Hominidae (Ape) family. Humans diverged from the rest of the great apes around 2.5 million years ago. Our species emerged about 200,000 years ago. There is an immense amount of proof existing.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

blinders.jpg

plotalot and Tiger in NC like this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Address this direct response to the issue of evolution:

(Monday, Oct. 27, 2014) Pope Francis: “God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life. Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”

Pope Pius XII wrote an encyclical “Humani Generis” in 1950 affirming that there was no conflict between evolution and Catholic faith. Pope John Paul II reaffirmed that, stressing that evolution was more than a hypothesis, in 1996.

Although the church still holds an act of creation to bring about all things, it follows with the fact that all things (universe, earth, creatures) evolved into what it is today. Why do you have trouble accepting evolution?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I am ready for you, Cuz. Let's get some definitions straight. Religion addresses matters of the soul. Science addresses matters of physical reality. We can agree that neither accepts the principles of the other. Perhaps this is proper or maybe the turf is not so distinct. There are many areas where religion and science have long been in conflict. It makes for interesting and lively discussion.

I am interested . . . are your objections to evolution based upon science or upon religion?

10. flabengal

I have a problem with evolution because I do not believe the evidence supports it. The evidence that should exist to prove evolution has, as far as I understand it, not been found.

My current thought process is to look into the arguments against a 5 billion year old earth. Enormous lengths of time are crucial for evolutionary theory to be correct. I remember reading quite a bit about the subject several years ago and the Deluge was not compatible with evolution. That's why I picked this subject.

Pope Francis' opinion on evolution matters as much to me as Stephan Hawking's opinion on the Virgin Birth.