Biblical Flood: Actual Event or Myth

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by flabengal, Oct 28, 2014.

1. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

I obect to evolution because I looked into the subject quite a bit many moons ago and found the science to be anything but settled. The easiest way to disprove evolution would be to find evidence of a young earth. I thought the Deluge would contribute to this but it may be easier to just address the young/old earth evidence.

As far as definitions would you agree that evidence of a young earth, say 200,000 years or less would be a severe blow to evolutionary theory? I think those are the easiest points to discuss....Deluge & young earth.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think you are confusing evolution with geologic time. Evolution is a biological process, not a geological process. to dispute evolution, you must prove that organisms do not evolve over time due to natural selection.

Conclusive scientific evidence of an earth younger than 200,000 years would be more revolutionary than toppling evolution. Evidence of geologic time and evolution are both conclusive and overwhelming. Good luck. Make your case.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So what if the earth is only 3 or 4 billion years old? Still plenty of time for evolution.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Who gives a shit what you believe? What is there evidence of? People can and will believe anything. That doesn't make it true or even worthy of debate.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

This points one of the problems with teaching creationism in schools. @flabengal is ignoring phyical evidence such as astronomical observations, radiologic data and many other documented and proven measure that show the universe is 12+billion years old and the earth is 4+billion years old. Wishing it away or using a book written by uneducated herders 3000 years ago (and modified aout 1600 years ago) as a basis for argument is a fools erand and arguing with them gets nowhere.
    Likewise while evolution is still technically a theory, it is well enough documented to only leave argument for the details such as what mechanisms were effective at different times and how it's rate varied over time and why. There can be abolutely no debate that life began 3 billion years ago and has continually morphed and evolved to what is populating the earth today. Genetic decoding proves that beyond a doubt.
    That DOESN"T dismiss the place that faith in god can have or even tha god was/is the prime mover of the universe. Those who wrote the bible would have thought 90% of what we accept as perfectly normal and understandable as magic or miracle. There is no reason (unless you are a fundementalist who believes in the inerancy of the bible) to allow the stories and myths used to explain the wonders of god to a primitive society to rule over our education today.
    Faith and religion are NOT able to explain the real world and what makes it work...they are there to give the faithful a window into the presense of god and a guide to how to act. To try to make it a science text does a great disservice to those who wrote it and to the god/s they were written to become close to.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Creationists often get hung up on the word "theory." Words have precise meanings in science. For example, 'theory', 'law', and 'hypothesis' don't all mean the same thing. Evolution is a scientific theory, which is not a wild guess. As used in science, a theory is an explanation or model based on observation, experimentation, and reasoning, especially one that has been tested and confirmed as a general principle helping to explain and predict natural phenomena.

Creationism is a hypothesis, which is a proposal intended to explain some concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena. A scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory. Creationism has never survived scientific scrutiny.

Winston1 likes this.
  7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Universal Gravity is a theory also, if people are interested in an example of a theory widely accepted as proof. I would think that flabengal would defer to the "experts" after his rants on the Stephen Hawking thread.

8. flabengal

Disputing evolution through evidence against natural selection would be one way to do it.

Or we can look at the age of the earth. If the earth is not extremely old then evolution would not have time to take place.
    I will make a case, I have to brush up on the subject a bit.

9. flabengal

If it's 1 or 2 billion I don't think it would disprove evolution. The earth would have to be much younger to really blow up evolution as a theory. At least, in my mind it would....

10. flabengal

Where did I say you should give a shit what I believe? What an odd question...

Evidence? That's what I am in the process of looking up. What's the rush, man? If you got something to do then move on....this is going to take a while.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014