Bidding on seat transfer options???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rex C., Aug 13, 2003.

1. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

From the latest Cyberchat (and LSU Vision homepage) --

Second, we were committed to giving season ticket holders ultimate control over their seats. Season ticket holders will determine who will sit in their seats with a one-time Transfer Option Period. If someone chooses not to pay the required contribution, he or she can transfer the ticket into the name of another person.

Apparently, Skip does view this as YOUR seat to do with as you please. Further, I don't think that the scalping laws contemplate the selling of your "right to tickets" - just the actual tickets themselves.

2. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Founding Member

Basically, he is buying off the ticket holders by giving them the right to give (SELL) their tickets to someone before they lose them. While absurd on it's face, it is politically smart as LSU gets the fee and the tickets and the old ticket holder gets paid off, but not by LSU.

3. The Big Bengal

The Big Bengal Founding Member

On the transfer option...you wouldn't be selling the tickets, but you'd be selling the RIGHT TO BUY those tickets for perpetuity...and there is no set monetary value on that. Fair market value would mean whatever someone is willing to pay for that right. It would definitely not fit the definition of scalping.

4. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

Ah.... I see what the argument is now. I would think that selling the right to own the tickets does not constitute scalping. This will be an interesting situation. How much are you willing to pay for the right to buy season tickets for perpetuity? Essentially, you will pay a flat fee to the current season ticket holder (one time), THEN pay LSU $400/seat (or whatever the donation is) plus the cost of the season ticket each and every year. If you then decide you don't want the seat, you CANNOT sell it. It will revert to LSU and they will sell it. You will lose whatever you paid to the original season ticket holder.

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I disagree. I have paid a $50 a seat surcharge ever since I got mine. So that's 50 x 5 seats x 10 years = $2,500.........now I have to come up with almost that amount every year from here on out.

Keeping watching the board........IF I decide to give up my seats next year, I will post it here first.

6. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Hey Hub,

Where are your seats?

== The vultures are out already!!!

7. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

I have a different take on the situation. I think the money for the "right" to buy seats belongs to LSU and any value derived from the sale of that right should inure to the benefit of LSU.

However, I do think that LSU thought of this already and is conceding that some folks will do exactly what you are talking about. After that, no more transfers are allowed - except back to LSU. You won't be the last to think of this ploy and I think I would be interested in buying 4 sideline tiks from someone. I have 4 in the north section 39 thru TAF that i pay $250 per year for (each) - I get no relief from my contribution level (I don't drop to $85 a seat) - so I am feeling stung by the whole move - but I realize it is best for LSU, even though I am personally pissed.

8. Hub

Hub Founding Member

East Sec 12 Row F........about 3/4 way up on the 40

9. Rex C.

Rex C. member

LSU Bud,
    I like the way you highlighted Skip's comments. Another term worth emphasizing is "ultimate control."

"Second, we were committed to giving season ticket holders ultimate control over their seats. Season ticket holders will determine who will sit in their seats with a one-time Transfer Option Period. If someone chooses not to pay the required
    contribution, he or she can transfer the ticket into the name of another person."

10. TigerLifer3

TigerLifer3 Founding Member

I am sure glad I already had my seats in the south endzone. I hate to be sitting on the sidelines. I had these tickets since 1988, and no I am not giving them up.