Big Baby is too big.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gumborue, Apr 20, 2006.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's pathetic because a guy his height can't play above the rim. I have seen Allen Iverson dunk more than I have seen Glen Davis dunk. Just because he has done well in the SEC despite being vertically challenged doesn't mean anything. He has no future in the NBA if he doesn't get his weight down and his vertical up. He's already the most blocked post player in college. He won't last a week in the NBA with that distinction.

Charles Barkley is/was similarly shaped. He got down to 250 after a lot of work and those were the best years of his career.

Glen already has fantastic footwork (like Charles did) that he developed because he was not able to fall back on his leaping abilities, which is what hinders footwork development for many players in the NBA. Even if he doesn't gain one single vertical inch, he needs to get down to 250 because teams are going to take him out of the gameplan next year by running the Tigers to death, just like UCLA did. A 250lb Glen Davis may be the best player not just in the SEC, but in the NCAA next year.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Davis is very much like Barkley. Sir Charles was a major fat boy in college, earning the name "The Round Mound of Rebound" but he was still an SEC MVP. But he had to drop the weight to become a superstar in the NBA. So will Davis if he wants to succeed at the next level.

And there was a picture of Davis standing next to Thomas last week at the press conference. No way they are both 6-9. Davis is more like 6-6.

3. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

Glen went on a big diet last season. His playing weight is fine.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Not for the NBA.

5. Ryan

Ryan Founding Member

Glen has to be big in order to do what he does. A 6'7 PF who isn't big is a SF in the NBA. Glen lost about 40 pounds last off-season(according to some article on here if my memory is correct). I'm not sure it's smart to be cutting that much weight when your strength is your wide body.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

There's nothing he does at 310 he couldn't do better at 270. The only thing he uses his body for is positioning for rebounds, and while he might not be quite as good at that if he was 50 lbs lighter, he could make up for it in jumping & hustling. Plus his frame will stay about the same size so he'll always be a bigger body type athlete & can still use that for positioning.

I question whether he has the commitment to do it, but I think it's definitely the best thing for his NBA aspirations.

7. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Davis will always have a large rear that will serve him well for boxing out and getting position on the low block for offense. The extra weight he can lose is in his midsection, shoulder and legs. Losing the 40 pounds can only help his elevation and endurance - two facets of his game that obviously need improvement to get to the NBA level.