Big Brass Balls

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 7, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It's 2014, why do they have to be in Washington? Major corporations do conference calls everyday, billion dollar decisions are made over web based video services. Why can't they do the same?

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

and this isn't already going on? C'mon amigo, this is just more pocket lining.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Corporations also have their top people at headquarters where the center of the action is. All-in-all Congressmen have to see each other, exchange signed documents, they have to see the people from the government agencies and the White House. Its cheaper and far more effective to lock them up in one place and make them work.

They pay top professors here more than that. They pay them double that at Harvard. Congressmen is an important job with high cost-of-living expenses. $174K ain't that much for such a job.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@red55 I was talking about them taking money on the side

5. red55

I know. These guys have a lot to lose if caught. If they are paid decently it lessens the temptation to be corrupt.

6. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Congress sucks. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainry. They aren't worth 174k and free healthcare and pensions, and they want more? Ninja please.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

To a degree I agree with Red. These people need to be paid a handsome salary to perform their duties. Red made a compelling argument why this is true.

That said, the congress is indeed privy to insider trading information and many other avenues that aid them in the creation of wealth that every day citizens do not have access to and many of these are related to legislation that affects you and me.

I have no problem paying people a good salary if they are doing the people's work and not selling out to special interests like they are doing today.

The current congress has accomplished less than any other congress in history. There is no arguing that statistic, and when you compare that statistic with $174,000 in annual earnings for accomplishing so little, yes, it seem ridiculous

9. red55

Apples and Oranges, amigo. They should certainly be busted for insider trading, but their salary should be adequate for the job.

Half of congress being millionaires is not that big a deal, either. A million is not what it once was. Their average net worth of $1,008,767 is what an ambitious middle-class worker needs to have before he retires. A Congressman pretty much needs to have that before he can consider quitting a full-time job and running for office.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

But it is not apples and oranges - they are allowed to profit from insider trading. I couldn't give a rat's ass that a million isn't what it used to be - they volunteer to be representatives of the people. It isn't an earned tenure position like yours and they aren't forced to run or serve. I get that the non-wealthy need enough to survive in D.C. but they really don't exist anymore.