Big Ten chief seeks level playing field in college baseball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jun 22, 2004.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

That's just a bunch of PC BS. Let's level the playing field for the poor northern teams...Why?

We don't play hockey, we don't have skiing teams. We don't whine about it.

Baseball is a warm weather sport. Naturally, it isn't going to be as popular in states where there is commonly snow on the ground until April or later, in some cases.

With that being said, I've sat at many a February game in Alex Box in the past in a sweatshirt, coat, and gloves and freezed when the North wind blew. We just don't have to worry about ice and snow in the South.

This "let's make a separate championship" nonsense is exactly the sort of thing that is wrong with competition from elementary school on up, apparently. "We can't hurt anyone's feelings, so everybody has to win." USC didn't make the BCS game, well, let's just give them their own trophy and national title, etc.

The middle school where I teach won't even hold cheerleader tryouts for 8th graders because a girl's feelings might be hurt if she doesn't make it. Anybody who can pay for the uniform can be a cheerleader (oh, but that DOES leave out the poor girls, doesn't it?).

Ridiculous.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

No one up here cares about baseball except for the actual Big 10 players.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I can imagine what attendance would be like at the big "northern" tournament. They'd be lucky to get more than 3000 people for the championship game. I've gone by the Northwestern "stadium" during Big Ten games, and there are many more people at Louisiana high school games than at Northwestern games. They're lucky if they get 200.

That said, I think the northern schools do have an argument that the season starts and ends too early, giving a distinct advantage to Sun Belt/West Coast teams. Its tough to play baseball up here in February. And March. And some of April.

4. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

When Ohio State made it to the super regionals last year.....no one that even went to OSU knew....

5. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

On the other hand a large portion of the MLB teams are in the "north" and enjoy much greater support than they do or would get in the south "see miami". Maybe there would be enough of a market...

Ohh who am I kidding. Its just another Yankee liberal opp. to whine about "not fair" situations.