Big Ten Network

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Oct 13, 2007.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Was just flipping through channels (game surfing like I do every Saturday while waiting for LSU) and I came across all the games on the various channels for the Big Ten Network. I'm impressed with what they have going with that.

The exposure, at least to me, appears worth it's weight in gold and I know there was talk that the SEC would take a "wait and see" approach as to how well the Big Ten faired with this. I would think that if it's REMOTELY successful in the Big Ten, it would do just as well, if not better, in the SEC.

An SEC Network would ensure TV exposure to the lower programs in the conference just like it's doing for the Big Ten and teams like Northwestern, Minnesota, etc.

It would also, IMO, show, on a weekly basis, to the entire country the depth of the conference.

Instant replay and now a conference network....WHY are we always waiting for the Big Ten to come up with something before putting it in place here???

2. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

i take it you have a dish, because noone else on the planet can catch the big ten network, even those in b11 country.

3. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

Yeah, Cox don't carry that crap.

I think that it's a great idea in theory, but I can tell you that they don't want to talk about the MAJOR resource allocation drain that is a national network. I'd rather the schools get the money when half our games are on TV every weekend anyways!

4. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Detroit Free Press has the oposite feeling:

Big Ten Network hurts poll rankings

The Big Ten Network has failed one of its primary objectives -- broadening the product brand. The diminished television distribution of Big Ten football has cost the conference in the national rankings. You could always count on one or two Big Ten teams filling out the bottom of the Associated Press media and USA Today coaches polls, but there isn't one Big Ten team ranked 20th through 25th in the AP poll. Voters don't have as much access to those games as previously under the conference's old cable arrangement with ESPN.

5. BostonBengal

Good point! I didn't realize that!

Well then....like mentioned above, forget an SEC Network. If our games are going to be on TV anyways, and the schools get the money, then lets keep it as is! :thumb:

6. huangw

huangw Founding Member

SEC network could be bad for sec football's national exposure. I live in Indiana and I used to watch quite a lot big10 games on cbs, abc, nbc. They has been mostly disappeared this year. I have comcast. But it does not carry Big10 network this year. Most people here in big10 territory are not happy with this situation.

7. BostonBengal

With me having a dish, I wasn't aware that cable providers didn't have the BTN. But with all of the problems brought to my attention, I'm realizing that it's DEFINATELY NOT something that I would want--ESPECIALLY if it means hurting the conference in the eyes of the poll voters.

8. BigHouseDon

BigHouseDon Founding Member

I got the dish in late august, only because comcast wasn't carrying and still isn't carrying b10 network. The 1st 2 games didn't do anything but piss me off. I missed today's game cuz I was at the Elks and they don't have a dish. I'm home now and you guys are haveing a great game. 3 ot's and now a delay of game for KY at the 2. Man I love games like this.:D

BHD