Biggest surprise this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blade Brown, Oct 2, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

This defense will have as many, and probably more in the NFL - plus they will be taken higher in the draft.

2. sojon

sojon Founding Member

your defense being as good as its currently ranked is teh suprise to me
    #1 in yards per game for a team that lost most of its top tacklers from the year before....

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm surprised that our net punting is so horrible. Our punter averages 42 yards which is average-good, but we are allowing return 18.2 yards per punt. Dead last in the SEC. #74 nationally.

We have been a very good kick/punt coverage team in the last four years.

4. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

I would definately agree that the biggest suprise has been the running game (or lack thereof). It's been really hard to watch the team just drive and drive and drive and get nowhere. There are flashes of what we need, but it's really puzzling.

There's lots of theories out there as to why the team isn't running effectively, and I haven't really studied it enough to form my own opinion why we haven't been able to rush properly.

5. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

I expected the defence to be good, but not that good. I also like how the young guys on our team are doing.

I thought running would have been better but I knew it wasn't going to be great coming in to this year but, it's sad to see that we're making everyone look like they have awesome rush defence.

Another thing...Russell has really impressed me and I'll admit that last year I was kind of rooting for Flynn to take over the starting job but now, no way. Russell is the guy. He looks awesome everytime he touches the ball.

6. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

It is puzzling to me as well with how inneffective our run attack has become. Our pass blocking is great, and run blocking is good...I just don't get how we can't hit the holes or they close up so quickly. We've only played on good defense this year.....

Ready to chew on some swamp meat!!!
    :geauxtige :geauxtige
    :geauxtige :geauxtige

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU fans are disppointed because no Joe Addai type rusher has emerged yet. However it is important to note that LSU is not completely ineffective at running the football.

LSU is ranked #5 in the SEC in rushing with 144 yards per game. That is in the SEC upper tier and ahead of ranked teams like Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia.

LSU has 14 rushing touchdowns, which leads the SEC.

So we may be disappointed that the running game is not as strong as the last few years, but we are far from having a complete lack of production running the football--especially near the goal line.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

great point:thumb:

9. LSU_Fan_In_OK

LSU_Fan_In_OK Founding Member

Running Game without a doubt

10. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

But really and truly, red, anyone can run it in from 2 yards out. All you need is a shove from Reggie Bus- the offensive line, I mean, and you've got it in there. I was referring to the lack of long gains/consistent decent ones, especially against the weaker competition.