Bill Buckner returns to Fenway

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Apr 9, 2008.

1. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

Not sure who all caught this yesterday, but Bill Buckner threw out the first pitch at Fenway for the home opener.

Figures to be the right time to bring him back, amidst the Red Sox second title in four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3335928

2. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

As a diehard Sox fan since the mid 70s I was thrilled to see that yesterday. Very classy by the Sox fans - it truly was an outpouring of appreciation. Bill has always said his animosity is pointed towards the media's portrayal of the play and the series - not the treatment he received from Boston management or the fans.

Few people remember he came back to play for the Sox in 1990. It wasn't the same, though, he retired after 22 games.

I'm glad this is put to bed. You are right - 2 rings and more coming in the next decade will heal wounds.

3. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

I've only been a Red Sox fan for a few years now (yes, before the 1st WS Title), but I am very aware of what happened back in '86, beings that the Mets defeated the Astros that year to win the NL pennant.

That dude was put through the ringer by the media. He had to move he and his family to Idaho. I don't know of any good reason to move there unless you are in the witness protection program, or if you are Bill Buckner or Scott Norwood.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

He got a raw deal. "The play" isn't what cost the sox the series. From what I recall the sox were up in game 7 but blew the lead and lost the championship.

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

you are correct, but if He had made that play on Mookie's grounder, the series would have ended.
    No run scored on that play
    No wild pitch a batter later
    No game 7 collapse
    He was the 1st in a string of dominoes to go down.