Bill Clay as Def. Coord

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by veedo, Jan 5, 2005.

1. veedo

veedo Founding Member

Bill Clay may be the next d-coord. Miles said that he will be able to do better with better talent. After looking at BC's resume, I learned that he was the coord at Miss St. So, I figure that he has been a d-coord at an SEC school, this is how I should rate him. I am not impressed. Here is a link to State's past records.

http://www.mstateathletics.com/staticfiles/fballtime.pdf

After his stint at State he went to UAB. That tells me that he was fired and instead of moving laterally in his professional career, he had to take a step downward. I DO NOT WANT HIM AS OUR DC.

2. lsugrad00

lsugrad00 Founding Member

for what it's worth Bill Clay and UAB beat Nick Saban and LSU in 2000.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I think our defense is great, not as good as 2003 but it is still good. They will be even better when or if our offense gets better. I would hate to see Miles unload the D-coord and O-coord. Don't come in and fix something that ain't broke.

4. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Regardless of who comes in as defensive coordinator, they will most likely be a sacrificial lamb because of unreasonable expectations based on the 2003 defense that carried LSU to a national championship. That unit was one of those special defenses that comes along once every decade or so. The last one I can think of was the '92 Bama unit that won the NC. The depth of the front seven was amazing, which gave LSU the ability to put non-stop pressure on the qb for 60 minutes. That front seven was able to turn a good secondary into a great one, because of the short period of time they had to cover. Although this year's defense was very good, key losses hurt our ability to pressure the qb for the entire game. The blitz seemed to be a step late much of the time, and exposed our secondary, particularly Webster and Daniels, as good, but not as great as we believed. They will both be gone, along with Spears and Turner. Although the defense should still be good next year, it is important to keep things in perspective and realize they won't live up to the '03 group, and may not even be as good as this year's, regardless of who is coaching. Unfortunately, I don't think the next DC will be extended that consideration and won't last very long.