Bill O'Reilly.....

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Biggles, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Biggles

Biggles Founding Member

2. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

"O'Reilly has donated $60,000 to the program over the past 1 1/2 years, including a $5,000 check he handed over Saturday: "Bill has been wonderful to these boys. He puts his money where his mouth is. He's a New York guy. He was a schoolteacher in the New York City public schools. He loves these kids."

But let's make sure we ignore this insignificant sidebar and concentrate on what's really important - discrediting people for the sake of partisan politics.

3. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Actually TUWho I think you have O'Reilly confused with Hannity.

So, what's up with Tomm? I miss his moRRoNNiCC drivel. Has he turned up somewhere?

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I don't believe the article made any mention of "The Best Boys" racial makeup. So, what makes O'Reilly's remarks racist?

5. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Actually, another possibility is the remark was sarcastic--it was aimed not at the stereotype of inner city kids being hoodlums, but at the stereotype of Republicans being prejudiced.

6. SabanFan

Could be. But O'Reilly is smart enough to not fuel the fire by attempting to explain away his remarks.

7. Ellis Hugh

Actually I don't know. Believe it or not, I don't watch his show. I watch the straight news, not other peoples commentary on it. I don't really care for the editorialists' opinions be they from the right or the left. I'm a "just the facts" kind of guy.

I'm not making excuses for him. I am just tired of everyone having to screen everything they say because if they offend anyone (the horror) then everything else that person does is forgotten.

If Bill had not attended that fuction, had not donated alot, and therefore had not said that bonehead statement, then would the world be a better place? No. Those kids will be helped alot more with his $60,000 than they are hurt by his remark. I'm sure the kids that are benefitting from his donation don't care.

So should he be discredited for the rest of his life now? That's your decision, but I'll bet (most) people already had an opinion of him and this didn't change it. Should everyone that gets into a traffic accident be banned from ever driving again?

Peoples skins are a little too thin nowadays. Sticks and stones may break my boes but words will never hurt me.

8. SabanFan

So where DO you get your news. They are all slanted one way or the other, though I feel Fox News (not O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes, etc. Those are analysts) is more balanced then any of the others, although, I like MSNBC. CBS (and Peter Jennings to a degree) are the only ones that really make me holler at the tube.

9. Ellis Hugh

I meant I try to watch only the news reports as opposed to the commentary shows like his, Larry King, Phil Donohue, etc. I want to form my own opinion given the facts at hand, not to have an opinion dictated to me. I also prefer print news to TV.

While all news outlets have a slant one way or another, its not nearly as bad as the opinion shows where the hosts are truly there to spout their personal opinion.

None of it is perfect, but some are definitely worse than others.

10. SabanFan

Seriously, you (if you haven't already) need to check out O'Reilly and Hannity & Colmes. You get both sides. Clearly Hannity is conservative a la Limbaugh and Colmes is 180 degrees the other way, but in the end, both sides are aired. O'Reilly strongly voices his viewpoint BUT he lets the opposing views have their say and he lets the audience decide through polls and letters. It's entertaining as well. Other than King of Queens and sports, that's about all I watch