Billy Cannon elected to College Football HOF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Nutriaitch, May 1, 2008.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Four LSU players from the pre-WWII days were inducted into the College Football HOF. The only LSU players to do it since were Billy Cannon and Tommy Casanova, two of the greatest players in the history of college football. Casanova was the only three-time All-American in LSU history.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

John, is the Canon Copy Machine named after Billy?

Yes or no will suffice. :grin:

I'm sure happy for Cannon, he definitely deserves to be inducted imo.

1 person likes this.
  3. Carface

Carface What the...?

I bet you waited all day to use that one. :yelwink2:

1 person likes this.
  4. Lukky Lou

Lukky Lou Founding Member

Billy Cannon isn't long for this world and it's about time that he's honored for his gridiron feats, not denied honor for his off the field mistakes. Billy will enjoy his final days in the sunshine as a old Tiger Hero and LSU will be the better for it. God bless those who have forgiveness in their hearts, for they shall be forgiven!

Billy Cannon # 20, winner of the 1959 Heisman Trophy and heart and soul of the 1958 National Championship Team.

I believe Cannon's Heisman Trophy can still be seen in T.J. Ribs. I wish they'd pass it over and put it in the LSU Athletic Hall of Fame.

Cannon was an animal on the field. He'd bleed all over you and still run you over with an unnatural combination of brute power and world class sprinter's speed. I still love the old replays of the pass to Mickey Mangham in the Sugar Bowl, the only score in the game that won the '58 Title. And, the legendary "run" on Halloween in 1959 when #1 LSU beat Ole Miss, and that run won him the Heisman, hands down.

That Halloween run has to be the greatest play, or at least in the Top five all-time greatest plays in College Football history. I still get chills watching it and a Halloween is not Halloween on the Bayou without seeing "THE RUN"

Billy will be inducted on December 9, 2008. I hope it's right after another SECCG appearance by LSU. God Bless you Billy Cannon and thanks for the memories.

5. Lukky Lou

Lukky Lou Founding Member

Billy Cannon isn't long for this world and it's about time that he's honored for his gridiron feats, not denied honor for his off the field mistakes. Billy will enjoy his final days in the sunshine as a old Tiger Hero and LSU will be the better for it. God bless those who have forgiveness in their hearts, for they shall be forgiven!

Billy Cannon # 20, winner of the 1959 Heisman Trophy and heart and soul of the 1958 National Championship Team.

I believe Cannon's Heisman Trophy can still be seen in T.J. Ribs. I wish they'd pass it over and put it in the LSU Athletic Hall of Fame.

Cannon was an animal on the field. He'd bleed all over you and still run you over with an unnatural combination of brute power and world class sprinter's speed. I still love the old replays of the pass to Mickey Mangham in the Sugar Bowl, the only score in the game that won the '58 Title. And, the legendary "run" on Halloween in 1959 when #1 LSU beat Ole Miss, and that run won him the Heisman, hands down.

That Halloween run has to be one of the five all-time greatest plays in College Football history.

Billy will be inducted on December 9, 2008. I hope it's right after another SECCG appearance by LSU.

1 person likes this.
  6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

although that is not my favorite re-run :lol: I am well pleased that this honor has finally given to him. It is well earned and past due. The run is a great memory for even me. I was 12 and listening to the radio. I cried, I think. But give the man his due. Almost every OM player had a shot at him. He was determined to score. It's not like he just side-stepped one man and ran the distance. Certainly one of the greatest plays I remember in my life.:geaux::thumb:

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Archie Manning discusses Cannon to Hall of Fame. Best part is the pain he felt as a young boy when Cannon ran back the infamous kickoff.:hihi:

http://www.tigerrag.com/?p=1145

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Hahahahahahaha! Geaux to Hell, Ole Miss!!! :eek:lefire:

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Wow. I did not know that Billy Cannon is the Angola State Prison dentist.

As for the 2.5 years in federal prison, Cannon is right up there with Gov. Edwards. I honestly don't even think RP will up screw that bad (but only time will tell...).

10. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I wouldn't bet the house on RP not screwing up that bad, he's got a good start.