Billy Cannon

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PGTiger, Aug 23, 2006.

1. PGTiger

PGTiger Founding Member

Hey guys, I have searched all over the place for a large image of the Billy Cannon Halloween Run. I need it for a project in English and the only ones I can find are no bigger than 400 pixels.

Does anyone know where I can find a large image of the Billy Cannon run?

Thanks

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

3. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Wow does that bring back memories. I listened to that game on the radio. I really can't remember why but I was pulling for LSU and was estatic when Cannon ran that punt back. Seems like yesterday.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

As I indicated on another thread, I was in Tiger Stadium selling 7-Up at the time, and saw the entire run. What a moment!

5. HatcherTiger

Whats interesting is if you hear Cannon tell it, he wasn't supposed to field a punt that close to the endzone. Supposedly, you could hear the coaches from the sideline yelling "no, no, no" and then "go, go, go". I don't think most people realize what a speciman Cannon was for his day. There weren't any other backs who were that big and could run that fast. You know Cecil ... nevermind !

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

You, and about 500,000 other people around the state. Why did they take all of those extra seats out of the stadium?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Actually, I was four years old and watching Roy Rogers on TV.

8. HatcherTiger

Here is Billy after the run:

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Of course, the setup to the game (Undefeated #1 ranked defending national champs vs. undefeated #3 ranked Ole Miss) and the run are engraved into every LSU fan's upbringing. I had never really heard much about Billy Cannon's game saving 4th and goal tackle on the goaline with a minute and change left in the game. I think he and another guy tackled the RB together but that should still get more attention than it does. I doubt film of that tackle exists but maybe one of you diehards could uncover.

The fact that they lost the following week at Tenn comes up every once in awhile. I don't know how much time was left in the game but LSU scored late to pull within 13-14. You gotta go with the 2 pt conversion and with the "probably already legendary" Billy Cannon. Of course, he didn't get in but I think he said he would always believe he broke the plane of the goaline. Maybe that's why I've always hated Rocky Top and those Junior and Lulu Tennessee fans.

10. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Man, we got a bunch of old farts on this board! I wasn't listening to the game, but Dad was, a Saturday night ritual for him. I was 7 years old, doing something else. All of a sudden, Dad started yelling in the kitchen, by himself. I ran in and he told me what happened. That's pretty much when I became a Tiger fan. If it was that important to Dad, it would be that important to me to.

And it always has been. :) :geauxtige