"Birds of a Feather:" The USC/AU Lovefest Continues...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by StaceyO, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BloodTypeOandB

BloodTypeOandB Founding Member

What is so hard to understand about fans actually

getting along with one another?

USC was our opponent the 1st game of 2002 and 2003...... that makes for a LOT of conversation with the enemy over the summer. Turns out they were pretty cool people, they know their football, and were good hosts and guests.

2002 we lost a heart breaker, we thought we had their number going into 2003... turned out to be the prelude to a VERY disappointing season.

My question is, how can you NOT start to respect and appreciate fans who have as much passion about the game as you and portray it in a cordial manner?

We lost, but I can tell you this....... there hasn't been more excitement over the start of a season than the 2002/2003 seasons. Their fans had a lot to do with that.

Looking at it from your point-of-view though, I can see how this could make it to your forum...... You get to lump two people you hate into one post.... convienient.

Anyway, hope you all get as much enjoyment out of conversing with the VT. fans as we did USC.

BloodTypeORANGEandBLUE

2. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

Going to have to disagree with you here. Outside of a few Internet posters very few people in Los Angeles have any passion or even care about USC. I know this first hand. Cordial Manner? Like I said it's amazing that Auburn fans are so in love with USC after the massive amount of stereotypical Southern insults that were thrown at Auburn fans before the game last year.

I think it's fairly obvious that the Auburn love affair with USC is mostly rooted in the desire of Auburn fans hatred of LSU and to marginalize LSU's National Championship.:champs:

3. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Geez, I think I'm going to vomit...

This bunch really needs to get a room.

4. BloodTypeOandB

That has got to be one of the most self-centered

things I think I've ever read.

Listen, 85% of banter between us and USC in 2002 was good-natured.... the rest antagonistic. ( still not a bad percentage )

After we went to USC and met the fans, and they met us 95% of the banter between us was cordial going into 2003.

Of course there was some smack..... on both sides, but the majority was by far positive. I don't know how often you visited either sites, but I am on the boards almost every weekday and have been for years and I stand by my statements.

Before the LSU USC split NC, YOU were NEVER brought up...... why would you be?

You think it's strange that fans of different schools could get along? Tell me how strange THAT is.

BloodTypeORANGEandBLUE

5. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

USC and AU fans just need to go ahead and suck each other and then call it quits :lsug: :lsup:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

As you know, O&B, I read the Auburn board every day. You are one of the level-headed individuals over there. But there has actually been a lot of AU and USC fans "ganging up" to bash LSU last winter. I'm pretty thick skinned and mostly just stayed out of it. But a number of LSU fans who posted to object to USC fan comments that USC was the true NC and LSU was not, got deleted with the comment that USC fans were "honored guests" and LSU fans could stick it in their ear.

We understand the normal banter between regular SEC opponents, but we just don't understand AU fans lining up behind these PAC-10 surfers over an SEC football team. We aren't overruning with love for AU around here, but we supported Auburn when you guys played USC and in your bowl game too.

BTW, the cowards of Virginia Tech backed out of the return home game this year at LSU that they owe us. We will open with Oregon State and we have heard very little from their fans.

7. TigerWar

TigerWar Founding Member

Brett...

I don't know where in the h3ll you're coming from with the statements you're making about USC insulting the South/Auburn. As I've stated above I visited their boards often and didn't see one insult.

I agree with OandB about your post being self-centered. Auburn fans good-natured relationship with USC fans stems long before the split national championship. Lets all gang up on LSU. Come on dude, get real. I personally believe that LSU would have beaten USC had they played last season.

8. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

C'mon Brett

C'mon Brett, how can you say this? The first USC game was out there in 2002, the year we beat LSU 31-7 and a NC for you was a pipe dream. LSU never crossed my mind as far as determining my feeling s about USC. To say some Auburn's fans' hatred of LSU has anything to do with their feelings about USC is a huge stretch IMHO. I am probably a good case in point when it comes to USC. I lived in L.A for awhile and heted USC. I pulled for UCLA to beat them every year. I went to the Auburn game out there in 2002 expecting the worst. It is a classic case of forming opinions based on hearsay. Instead of what I expected from the "University of Spoiled Children", I found very hospitable folks all the way from the fans to the general people who worked at the stadium. It carried over to thier visit to Auburn last year. I did hear a few remarks on their board by some who had never been South before but that is typical of p.eople everywhere who have never experienced the South. Those same posters went back and wrote very nice things about their visit to Auburn. I even partied until the wee hours in Auburn with some of the people I met on their board and it sure as heck didn't have anything to do with LSU.
    Truth is, if it wasn't for you guys not liking USC just because the AP voted them #1 last year ya'll wouldn't even notice the USC-Auburn deal.

9. BloodTypeOandB

Ditto Red. As far as I am concerned LSU is the only

NC.

I can't answer for Auburn fans, but the debate about whether the NC should have been split is one that crosses the nation, not just these three websites.

Anyway.... If the majority of this board finds it humorous or strange to appreciate an opponent, have at it. I suppose I'm just adding fuel to the fire.

Out,
    BloodTypeORANGEandBLUE

10. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

LSU fans are just going to have to get used to the bashing. It goes with the territory of being a national powerhouse. Everyone wants to knock down the guy on top. Ironic that we didn't see much of this during the dark years of the 80's and 90's. Winning and dominating makes our rivals bitter.

The fact is Coach Saban has built LSU back up to where it once proudly stood. As one of the few truly dominant programs in America. With everything in place we will be here for a long time so it's time to just let the insults and jealousy roll off of our backs and enjoy being a part of the #1 team in America.:champs: