Bite is on @ Atchafalya River

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Bayou Tiger, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Blue Cats out the wazoo. Fish markets in Simmesport have more than they can move (Must buy from fisherman contracted with).

Go get 'em guys.

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Any particular place you can recommend?

3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Haven't been out there this year. Is the boat traffic heavy in the Atchafalaya? Since we can't salt water fish, I wonder if the fresh water fishing is busy.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Water's dropping so you can't get into Cow Island Lake anymore. That'll cut down on the traffic at Butte LaRose.

Duck and Flat Lakes near Stephenville are about to turn on. Great Sac a lait and chinqapin fishing there.

5. Bayou Tiger

We put in @ Simmesport. If you can go during the week there is little boat traffic there.

Coming in from the North, exit right before the bridge and follow the levee West. (Don't know any street names). A mile or so on the right you'll see a sign with an image of a boat being launched and there is a two slot, cement launch right on the river and it's free. Large shell parking lot too.

We fish up river towards the Red.

6. Bayou Tiger

I have friends who fish the Red and they tell me it's great for bass and white perch, in fact, one sent me a pic of a table full of slabs they'd caught in the Red.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I'm not familiar with the Red. I usually launch on the east side of the Atchafalya along Bayou Sorrell or Pigeon landings. Mostly fish bass between there and Grand Lake.

Used to fish the marshes from Bayou Black south of Houma and the Intercoastal. Haven't been there in a while. Not sure if that place is effected by the oil.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Had 6 between 8-12 lbs. You can see one at the bottom of pic. Had 19 in all.

Best part was that the kid in the picture- student at my school/relative- had never been to the river so I was somewhat limited in where I could tie on and set where we could, essentially.

Secret is the socks, when I where those older, higher style socks that my daughters hate I never fail.

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Headed to Simmesport in the morning to stay at a camp. I think they want to set in the Mighty Mississip. I hear the river is incredibly high and the blue cats are biting like crazy. Most prefer the spotted catfish (flat head) but I give away almost all of what I catch so IDGAF.

jvalhenson likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I'll be down in Belle River/Pierre Part Monday night.