Blanco booed?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by lsu99, Jan 7, 2004.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Not sure if this belongs in the Free Speech Alley but since it happened at the game...

I heard a lot of booing when Blanco was announced mixed with some cheering. I was near the Oklahoma fans but got the impression that it was LSU fans that were booing, mostly because there was a lot of bitterness over the recent election. What did the overall reception sound like?

I'm not really into politics like I should be but I think it's bush league to boo her already. While I felt Jindal sounded like the better candidate for Louisiana at this time, Blanco hasn't had the opportunity to be evaluated yet. From what I've heard of her, she needs to surround herself with quality people. If we give her full support for the next 4 years, maybe her term won't be all that bad. Even a below average QB can win a Super Bowl these days.

Also, were LSU fans booing the Oklahoma governor also? Could some of the booing have carried over to Blanco and not intended for her.

2. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Founding Member

I didn't notice any booing for Oklahoma's governor from either side. However, sitting in the student section, I did hear both cheers and boos for Blanco. I wasn't around any OU fans so I assume it was LSU fans doing the cheering and booing.

3. Capt Fun

Capt Fun Founding Member

no..the OK gov. was cheered...the booing was all for blanco

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

She got booed in my section... Keep in mind MOST of the LSU crowd type voted for Jindal.

Plus Blanco winning was BAD for LSU (As described in Purple and Gold) because her Husband is Mr. USL.

So yeh she got booed.

As far as OU being booed, I dont recall ANY booing except when their team came out. Not during their band, or the announcing of their Gov...

5. AlxTgr

AlxTgr Founding Member

This is just my opinion, but booing an elected official is COMPLETELY different from booing an athlete or a coach. Booing an elected official is political speech, and is one of the very things protected by the first amendment. Now, I realize there is a difference between what is legal and what is the right thing to do, but citizens of a free country should not feel as if they cannot express their disapproval of elected officials. Would I have booed? I doubt it, but I certainly can see where people would boo a person in Ms. Blanco's position.

6. tpb

tpb Founding Member

Booing politicians at football games has always been a New Orleans tradition. It goes way back and means nothing except most people don't like politicos.

7. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

You should have been there when they introduced Marc Morial at a Zephyrs Game a few years back. I think Marc forgot that Zephyrs Field is in Metairie - A LONG WAY AWAY from his "base support". I later saw his then-fiancee, Michelle Miller up by the concession area - SHE LOOKED PISSED!!!

8. DValley

DValley Founding Member

Morial got the boo birds at the 2001 sugar bowl as well. Quite deserved IMO.

9. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

I thought it was a little embarrassing for the state to boo the gov-elect. She was standing there smiling her "I don't know where I am" smile and waving, and got booed. I didn't applaud her, but I didn't boo her either.

Granted, a significant majority of the LSU fans in the dome who paid $150+ for their tickets likely did not vote for her, I don't think that was good reason, any reason, to boo her. The look on her face was terrible. She looked very hurt. I am not a Blanco fan, and I thought the state had a chance to do something special with Bobby, but Blanco is what we have for the next 4 years.

10. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Blanco seemed to enjoy the invitation to meet the team and the LSU jersey that was presented to her earlier in the week. If she wasn't anti-LSU before (which she may have been), I'm sure she is now. This could've been the event to help her help us but we may have only ourselves to blame.

People outside of Louisiana probably aren't aware that Jindal was obviously the better candidate. I thought it just made LSU fans and Louisiana look kinda bad. As Saban would say, It's time to move on, got it?