Blanco takes office, and after 8 years of an educational Renaissance...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Jan 29, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

We go back to the doldrums of educational funding in this state in comparison to our national brethren...

Democrats take the highest office in the state, and after 8 years of either protection from cuts in higher education and/or actual increases in higher educational spending, we see that the state's budget looks to cut over TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS IN FUNDING TO LSU...

Let me say this again...TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS IN FUNDING FROM THE STATE'S FLAGSHIP SCHOOL!

On top of this, there's a 8 million dollar cut on top of that in the general fund coming as well...

This means that we've had a new governor for about a month, and it's cost LSU-THE FLAGSHIP STATE UNIVERSITY-THIRTY MILLION FRICKING DOLLARS...

These cuts include the Law School, the Ag Center (Which just had a huge biotech breakthrough that will change the way medicines are synthesized and cheapen pharmaceutical costs PERMANENTLY-Great thinking, Kathy), the college at large, and even the LSU Health Center!

Where is the outrage? Where is the vitriol? Most importantly...Where is the money going?

Why, where else but to prop up and "fix" the antiquated pofolks charity hospital system the state has going...Which Mrs. Blanco will have a "summit" on using retiring Senators in around 90 days...

One who the governor-as a candidate-once said that she wanted to gut and do away with...

I wonder...How much UL-Lafayette will lose come funding time?

Where is the outrage, people?

2. JD

JD Founding Member

A)Do you have a link that supports the $20 mill cut?
    B)The state had money during Foster's tenure-we don't now.
    C)There is no way in hell she can politically get a $20 mil cut through OR that she could get a higher percentage cut for LSU than for ULL.
    D)She damn will continue the funding of the community colleges. Some people talk out of both sides of the mouth- higher standardds BUT we better not lose any remedial students or anyone else to CCs.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There goes Saban's raise. My biggest fear of Blanco is that since her husband is a bigwig at the school formerly known as USL that she will divert money from LSU to USL to try to assuage their penis envy about not being equal to LSU as the states "Flagship University." TE, if you are right about this its happening already.
    Don't be surprised if the next thing you hear will be a proposal to build a 100,000 seat stadium in Lafayette so that the 6,000 or 7,000 USL fans who actually show up will have their choice of seats.

4. Bestbank Tiger

Bestbank Tiger Founding Member

Yep, it's all Blanco's fault. Can't blame the assclown who left a half-billion dollar hole in the budget. Can't blame the people who stymied fiscal reform over the last 20 years so higher education and health care are just about all that can be cut.

5. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Grey Davis runs up a budget deficit, and he is incompetent. Mike Foster is blameless for leaving a huge budget deficit and mess.

George W. Bush turns a budget surplus into a 500 billion dollar budget deficit every year, and they want him re-elected.

Right wing hypocrites are the ultimate. :)

6. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Obviously Blanco is a tax and spend liberal.
    Cutting higher education, the ultimate in non-wasteful state resources year after year.
    I like the Govs idea of cutting the law school budget.
    Every state executive should analyze that ivory tower for waste and its habit of being the proper culture for all forms of human bacteria.
    I thought Saban's raise was coming from private sources?
    How would these proposed cuts effect Saban's hefty raise?
    I'm all in favor of cutting higher education, but more importantly, a thorough review should be undertaken in higher education to remove the lunatics in that asylum calling themsleves Professors.
    That goes for LSU and every other state university nationwide.

7. TigerEducated

By the way, JD...Here's your damn link...Scroll back through the week...It's tabbed day by day...and it should be on Monday or Tuesday...

I don't care about what Foster did, or what Blanco did, there is NO reason the state has to cut higher education funding...at all costs...

Especially when you throw the money at an ailing and non-repairable system that doesn't do any damn good in the first place...

Think of it this way...Why spend the money on a box of band-aids when you've got a bullet hole in your thigh?

If you spend money in any section of the education system in this state, the dividends pay off by a lax of dependence on that charity hospital system...It's all about pressure points...

You give the oil to the squeaky wheel as soon as it squeaks, and the education system has been squeaking for years...You give it to kids early on, and in their collegiate years, and they don't ever have to depend on some should be defunct derelict health care system...

It just infuriates me....Thirty MILLION dollars...and it took less than one month's time...

It's time to reap the whirlwind people...and Bestbank, your apology via ducking and passing the buck is laughable...Foster faced budget crises every year in office, and somehow he was able to stave off cuts and/or increase funding EACH YEAR...

Looks like Blanco won't live up to that legacy...

www.daily-report.com

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I wonder what Cottonbowl66 has to say about Blanco.

A democrat that doesn't give a crap about LSU

9. TigerEducated

To be totally honest...George W. Bush released the "11th hour budget bailouts" to many states last year, including Louisiana, to help them avoid a budget meltdown, including Davis' California...

But, Cali and DC don't concern me right now...It's my damn future alma-mater...and the ridiculous ravenous rubes and feckless fobs in the Governor's Office...

I challenge anyone why Education should be cut...Just ONE logical explanation...and I also challenge anyone to produce the nubmers that the UL-System, and the UL-Lafayette campus in particular, will end up suffering as a result of this massive cut in higher education...

10. TigerEducated

Anyone? Anyone at all...

A single response? An explanation, anyone?