Blue crabs

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 18, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

haven't been fishing but been on a crab kick lately and they have been some big fat fine crabs. Averaging 5-6 dozen each time we go run em. Boiled a bunch today for Father's Day. If any of y'all catch your own or buy em by the dozen from someone else they are some prime perfect crabs right now.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

3. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

was in in Seattle a while back and had some dungeness crab at a nice place. i tore through them and left nothing but the shells. when the waiter returned i told him that they were great and i had never ate crab before. he shook his head and said no way, you went through those shells like a rat through a maze. he saw right through my BS.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

How did the dungeness compare with others you've had? In the NorthWest we see king, snow, rock and dungeness crabs,.. I think dungeness is the best by far.

5. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

its hard to best blue crab from LA, but dungeness is right there. and if i had boiled them with cajun spices i think they would have been at least equal to LA blue crab. one thing is for sure 1 dungeness gives the same amount of meat as probably 3 big blue crab.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Never had dungeness but I have eaten king crabs and snow crabs as well as stone crab claws. I have eaten blue crabs all my life because that's what we catch in Louisiana
    but I would love to try some king or snow crab boiled the same way I boil crawfish or shrimp. Blue crabs the way they steam them with Old Bay seasoning in Maryland and Virginia are good but not as good as boiled.

7. GiantDuckFan

king crabs and snow crabs have little flavor compared to dungeness. I've never eaten blue crabs,.. All we eat are the rock crabs claws, I wonder if they and stone crabs are the same.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Pretty sure they are the same thing. In Texas I've heard them referred to as rock crabs. I don't know if it's federal law or state laws but it's only legal to keep the one big claw and you have to return the live crab to the water so they can grow another claw.

I've eaten stone crabs lots of times in Florida but one time on my way home from a fishing trip in south Louisiana near the gulf I bought a few pounds of stone crab legs at store that had been boiled with Cajun seasoning.

9. GiantDuckFan

Catching dungeness while scuba diving is as fun as it gets, they can run nearly as fast as we can swim, zigzagging around, doubling back under you, stirring up a dust cover, it's a real hoot,.. then when you're finally able to grab em, they'll pinch the shit out of your finger and off they go,.. anyway when ya come across a rock crab they'll rear up to fight you and don't run, supposed to tear off one claw and let em go.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've caught a few stone crabs with a trawl while shrimping. You never know what you will have when you pull up the net, Shrimp and blue crabs mostly with some good fish and mostly trash fish. Also usually get a few soft shell crabs. The way most people catch blue crabs is to tie some chicken necks on a long piece of string and tie the ends of the strings to 2 poles, then spread them apart and stick the poles in the sand in waist deep water. Go to the beach, drink a beer then walk along the line with a net and a bucket. Repeat, then repeat again until the tide changes and all you catch are little clams or mussels or whatever they are. Sound boring to you compared to diving? Well, there are sharks in the water too.