Blueberries

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 10, 2015.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Spent about an hour and a half this morning on the blueberry bushes. Gonna start grinding to get the wine made this afternoon once that's working gotta pick another 5 gallons for the jelly. Mayhaws aren't panning out so might be blueberry only this year. Pretty good timing for the berry picking between the weather and the gash I put in my hand keeping me off the water a few days[​IMG]
    Could have filled the bucket a little faster if my helper would put as many in the bucket as she ate.
    [​IMG]

ROY_LA_CA and Bengal B like this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Reminds me of one of my favorite childhood books.
    [​IMG]

I don't know how many times I read this, probably when I was about your helper's age. Great pic.

3. jvalhenson

[​IMG]
    Now just gotta let it sit in the corner and work for about 6 months. And of course pick another 5 gallons for jelly

LSUTiga likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

You make me miss my grandfather. He used to make some with peaches, pears, not sure what all else. Is it hard to do?

5. jvalhenson

Nah wine is easy. Pick berries(or buy berries or juice), grind or blend up berries into a clean bucket add water and cover with a towel in a cool dark place for 3 days, then squeeze/strain off the pure juice, add sugar and yeast stirring till disolved, put in jug with some form of air lock and let it work till it quits bubbling. Then bottle and cork it.

kcal likes this.
  6. jvalhenson

Now for jelly which I'll be making tomorrow it's a little more involved but the payoff is much faster. Gotta boil the berries, squeeze em, measure juice, add water sugar lemon juice butter and gel, boil some more then can it but once it's canned only take maybe a day to fully gel where the wine is more like 6 months before it's done working. I got the picking and first boiling to pure juice done today. Gonna actually make the jelly tomorrow

7. jvalhenson

On the grandpaw note.....that's really the only reason I make any wine. From as far back as I can remember I helped him pick blueberries blackberries mayhaws sculpanines etc and we would make wine. When he died I went a couple years without making any but then once I started again it kinda became another thing that keeps him around for me. I hardly even drink it mainly it's for the wife and give away as gifts and barters.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  8. jvalhenson

Finally got a chance to jar up some blueberry jelly. [​IMG]
    Wound up making 27 pints but had one jar bust on me which was a first so only got the 26 pints

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

tirk is on his way with the ring and proposal.

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

nah not big on preserves. fish otoh...