Boat Ownership

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Bengal B, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

[​IMG]T

That's true. One time I backed my boat into the water and started the motor. Steering hydraulics were frozen and I couldn't turn the steering wheel. 8 weeks and $700 later it was fixed.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

A coworker once said, "if it floats, flies or f*&ks it's cheaper to rent it".

ParadiseiNC and LSUTiga like this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Definitely money pits. Sold my 18 foot xpress with a 115 4 stroke this spring. Had it for 14 years. Looking for something smaller since now I mostly fish alone.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I sold my 22 foot Predator Bay Boat with a 200 hp Yamaha Salt Water Series. Loved it but now I need something smaller that's easier to handle when I fish alone. Might as well fish alone when your tightwad fishing buddies won't go 50-50 on the expenses.

5. LSUTiga

I work for the public so when I go fishing, other than my kids, I enjoy my quiet time.

I wouldn't fish with anyone that kept their hands in their pockets either though. In fact the guy I fished with this summer had a boat. The two times we went I paid for all the gas. After the trip I took his boat home, washed it and greased trailer. He said I was the most generous person that had ever stayed at his camp. I told him I knew the maintenance costs go farther than just pumping gas.

When we go to his camp in Simmesport I always bring stuff like a load of wood, bottle of propane to switch out with the one he's using, furnish complete meals to cook for the group, etc. Then I leave him some cash on the table when I'm walking out cause he won't take it otherwise. I had a camp once and know how people go and don't see all there is to do.

He has more money than me so it's not about that. I only make a few trips a year and I budget for them. I love fishing the river and having a camp to be able to clean fish, shower, etc. is a nice perk. I used to go and stay in a sportsmans hotel- which is another savings for me. It makes him glad to have me as a guest.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That sucks. When my dad died I lost my fishing partner, but I kept my 21' bay boat. I don't fish nearly as often, but do bring the kids a couple times a year. I refuse to fish on the weekends except when the low temps run the weekend warriors away. The work schedule the last few years has also seriously cut in to my fishing time. People that don't offer to pay at least some of the expenses usually don't get invited again. It's not that much when a few guys split the costs.

LSUDad and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I sold my moms pontoon barge when I sold the fishing camp on toledo bend and I finally sold my dad's old bass boat, it had become maintenance intensive. I'm down to a canoe right now. But I have as much fun catching bream with a cane pole as I do casting for bass or pulling up snapper offshore. I just don't fish enough anymore to own a motorboat.

My friend won't take any cash and rarely lets me do any work around camp other than splitting wood or shelling peas. I always arrive with a bag of groceries and I leave him a half-gallon of whiskey and a couple of boxes of .22 ammunition. He has a nice target range and everybody takes advantage of it.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Steven Spielberg says his 258 foot yacht is too small so he is having a 300 footer built for over $250 Million. In the meantime you can charter his little boat for $1.2 Million a month

9. LSUTiga

Bream fishing is my favorite.

I could've guessed you weren't a free-loader. We're old school. If you ever want to come visit some of your old stumpin grounds I'd gladly take you on a hog hunt and cook up at that camp. You'd love the guy who owns it. He's more straight-forward than me. A little older too. He's 72 but still tearing down old houses for the wood. Keep it for his kids/grandkids. Breaks brick with a sledge to maintain the road to the camp too. Tough old bastard.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Bass Fishing Gear:

$40,000 bass boat
    $50,000 pickup truck
    $5000 for rods & reels, lures, and electronic fish finders to catch a bass about once per 1000 casts

Bream Fishing Gear

$5 cane pole
    $5 for hooks, line, sinkers and bobbers
    $3 for worms
    $12 for beer - Catching lots of fish -- Priceless