Boss the Plane the Plane

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Mar 14, 2014.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree. I don't care that communicate is the 3rd thing in your protocol. If your plane is on fire, you're calling in a mayday at some point so someone can find you. Fires like that don't happen right away, they happen slowly. First a smell, then a little smoke etc. This plane is too safe for this to be a real viable theory. It's not impossible, but seems unlikely.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

If the fire burns through the E&E bay, you're not going to be able to call anyone. They could also have pulled busses for communications in an attempt to eliminate the source of the fire.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

This is why I like this board, we are better than CNN. At the end of the day Tigerfan will figure this shit out first.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Like I said, it's possible, but it just seems unlikely to me.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I doubt that would be effective in stopping afire already burning. If they had to do it, it would be a very good reason to get a radio call out first.

6. MLUTiger

That's not how they're trained. You go through hours and hours of scenarios, practices, simulators, etc. so it becomes muscle memory and reaction rather than taking time to weigh all possible scenarios which would freeze up the thought process for people. Saving the aircraft and the passengers is of utmost importance. If you fail to do that, it doesn't really matter of you gave out a distress call.

I understand your need to want to argue about everything, but this is just the way it is for that reason. Any exceptions would be considered pilot error and a breach of protocol. Safety of the flight is always first.

7. red55

Well, Boeing 777 pilots disagree with you.

Here's What Pilots Think About The New Idea That The Missing Plane Flew For Hours After A Fire Killed The Pilots

Michael G. Fortune, a retired pilot who now works as an aviation consultant and expert witness, said pilots preparing to change destination "would have communicated their emergency and intentions to turn around, as well as ask for assistance and direct routing to a suitable airport from the air traffic controllers very quickly."

Fortune, who flew 777-200ERs like the one involved here, said pilots follow a specific procedure when there's smoke or fire in the cabin. He didn't buy into the idea that the transponders would have been turned off in an attempt to deal with the problem. "The checklist I utilized for smoke and fumes in the B-777-200ER does not specifically address the transponder being turned off," he said.

I understand your lame attempt to discredit me personally just because your argument is unsubstantiated.

8. MLUTiger

The B777 pilot does not disagree with me.

How did I attempt to discredit you? I attempted to stop the argument before it got rolling because you like arguing for the sake of being involved in an argument. You can't discredit a constantly moving target.

9. red55

By suggesting that I am simply contradicting people instead of making a point about the radio. You are in free speech alley, you know. People can say whatever they wish here. You can't stifle a response just because you don't like it.

What argument? I just said that I think one of there two pilots would would get a communication out quickly if there was any emergency and the Boeing pilot reiterated that.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@red55 don't they at least have some sort of SOS beacon they can turn on that wouldn't require pushing the button on the headset?