Bottom Line for Bball Tigers...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

When the guards are on for this team, they are one of the best teams in the SEC. It's not the Forwards that make this team, it's the guards. If the guards arent playing well, it allows the defenses to pack it in and make it tough to get the ball in the post. The Tigers won tonite b/c the guards played very well. But, the unfortunate aspect is that the guard play has been so inconsistent this year that Hud, Mitch, and Tack will prolly combine for only 4 points and 16 to's saturday. Some other observations about the game tonite: When Tack plays under control he is really good. I know I rip Tack b/c he's crazy with the rock, but when he's playing team ball and hitting shots, he's good.
    Neltner for some reason had his playing time reduced severely. I believe that Ross gives the Tigers quality mins and should have played more. Darnell Lazare might have had a career night tonite. I thought Brady coached a good game, but I have to disagree with leaving the horses in so late in a blowout. It's not leaving them in that was so bad, but the fact he took them out and then put them back in. Why was Tack on the floor at the end? Why were Bass and Hudson coming back into the game with about 6 mins left? That was def poor decision making by Brady. I dont understand why a few weeks ago he put Josh Maravich in with 4 seconds left in a game, but couldnt give him 3 or 4 mins today. But aside from that, the Tigers played as well as they have, Brady coached well. That being said, they played a pretty bad team. It was a game they should have won and did win. If they get good guard play like this against the likes of Fla, Bama or Miss st, they could steal one or two of those. Three of those at this point would be too much to ask for.

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Josh Maravich wasn't dressed out tonight. These guys are 19 and 20 years old. An extra 5 minutes on the floor isn't going to kill them. They have games twice a week. It's not like the NBA where back to back games are common as is playing 4 games a week.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

the problem with this team is simple.. the starting 5 can match up with anyone, but the bench is terrible.. you constantly see them in the paper.. starters - 75 points, bench - 4.. that just doesnt work..

4. foreverlsu

foreverlsu Founding Member

Most of their bench players have left the team these past couple of years Ambers, Gipson, and recentely Koundija. This has a huge effect on the team the five starters have extra burden put on them to perform. What I don't understand is now after Koundija has left why don't they take the Red shirt off of Tyrus Thomas! This guy really looks like a good player that can come off the bench!

5. clair

clair Rockets

Work Ethic:

Tyrus has been lounging all year long b/c "He isn't going to play anyway"

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

One problem is defensive play by the guards on the perimeter. It's not that they play bad defense, they are just simply undersized. They can't really defend against some of te taller guards on the outside shot.

7. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

right on.....

They play hard but it's tough when Minor and Mitchell play at the same time.

8. foreverlsu

foreverlsu Founding Member

Not to mention when Brady has Whipple Minor and Mitchell in the game at the same time!

9. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

I don't know about his work ethic - however, he's being redshirted this year so no chance he would've been in the game anyway.

Ross must be in the doghouse for something - he didn't play much at all. He and Paul were the only 2 w/minimal playing time. I still haven't heard why Fleshman has been in street clothes the past few games (not that he's going to help out, but he could've given our other guards some rest at the end of the game).

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

bs. no bench only hurts when you lose one from injury or fouls. very few teams run and press anymore to the point where fatigue should be a problem. where it may be a problem is in the sec tourney if we get lucky enough to win two games.