Bow opener in MS

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Oct 5, 2020.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

found a bunch of persimmons loaded down couple weeks ago and hung a stand on em. Sat it Friday morning and had a little come in. Decided to let him go but he just hung around to long and I got to thinking about a new ground meat jerky recipe I want to try and that my cur dog needed a little tune up blood trail so let one fly thinking it would be an easy one. Well I must have pulled a little or something bc I hit about 3 inches to far back and got liver which is a killing shot but not much blood and makes it tough in the tall thick grass and briars. So put the dog on him and he found him in about 3 minutes 208 yards away drowning in a creek. So mission accomplished got the meat and dog some work but def not the way I was trying to do it. Pretty sure without him I do not find that deer at all. After about 20 yards I had absolutely nothing to work with as far as figuring out which way he had gone. pic later but aint much of a buck. just a little cowhorn only legal bc we get 1 "buck of choice" now that does not meet the antler restrictions. Oh well.....never claimed to be a trophy hunter ha. They all just bags of meat for someone to eat.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Can’t eat the horns.

3. jvalhenson

So I had never made ground meat jerky before and turned this into a pile of that. Ground it twice and mixed with 2/3 jerky and 1/3 snack stick seasoning. Picked up a jerky gun thing and made it into 12” strips. In the smoker with Apple wood for 2 hours at 140 then finished at 170 for another 2-3 hours. Gonna be making a lot of this. Easy and freaking good. Way better than regular jerky. Taste at least as good if not better since the ground meat takes the seasoning better and WAY easier to eat tender as can be.

KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If you start selling it I'll take a few packs

5. jvalhenson

Ha yea I’ll never be able to have that much surplus. Way to many mouths round here.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My BiL has a commercial dehydrator. He, his kids, and grandkids kill a lot of deer every year. He makes a fair amount of jerky. That stuff gets eaten like candy.

I'll have to tell him about your grinding hack.