Bow Season

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

MS bow season opened for most of the state(except the coast) this morning. Headed to the camp this evening after work staying through sunday. Mostly to work but will bow hunt a little here and there. Not expecting to much as I am going in pretty much blind. I have a lock on over a persimmon that I hope is dropping that I will hunt if the wind is right...other than that I really have nothing already set up will be lookin for white oaks and carrying a climber is the wind is wrong for the persimmon. prob do a little white perch and white river catfish fishing while up there too. Making for a long day waiting to get out of here and on the road.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    gyver likes this.
  2. jvalhenson

obviously the title should have said season. dont see a way to fix the title under the edit option

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do deer eat unripened persimmons? I took a bite of one once and it drew my mouth up and made it so dry that I had to drink water until I was too bloated to drink anymore

4. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Everything other than a bobcat will eat a wild persimmon. All that do, know to check it out on a regular basis. Hard to say what critter gets what.

5. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I'd concentrate on red oak acorns right now. Squirrels and deer both are hitting them pretty good.

6. jvalhenson

other the lsu game had a great weekend. got some work at the cabin done and sat in the woods a while. No dead deer but watched a lot of does but didnt shoot any. had opportunities but for various reason didnt draw back bc they either had yearlings with them that I thought were borderline to make it on their own or the shots just werent right or it was right at dark and didnt want to spend half the night in the woods lookin for a doe assuming i would have hit one anyways. Killed a few squirrels one morning around the camp but just enough to make us a batch of dumplings that night and caught a few fish to fry another night. persimmons were about dried up but lots of water oaks there too and the deer where hitting them pretty good but mostly they are still out in the AG fields all night eating the beans and taters so not much daytime feeding going on till they get the fields cut and dug especially the bucks.

gyver likes this.
  7. gyver

My ten year old. Took a interest in bows. I fixed him up a youth model. Sights, release, and rest. I spent 2 hrs working with him on anchor points and positions. He caught on pretty quick. Next year I'll have him bowhunting with me.

Attached Files:

LSUTiga and titoabad1 like this.
  8. jvalhenson

Do y'all have the archery in the schools program where you are? I've been trying to get it going over here for about 5 years and finally last year it took hold pretty good and had our first competition team. Gives several kids an extracurricular outlet other than the typical sports that almost any of them can do.

LSUTiga and gyver like this.
  9. gyver

We don't have it yet but my friend Roy is working on getting it going at my daughters school. Is gladly volunteer to help coach it.
    My son, Blake, is 10. He started out hitting a 30" target at 20'. After an hour and a half he was hitting a 6" target at 30'. He was so excited he wanted to take his bow to his moms and practice. I'm getting him an actual Browning youth bow tomorrow. He's gonna shit when he gets that next weekend.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    KyleK likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

And something they can do after HS too.