Bowl observations to date

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TexasTigers, Dec 30, 2010.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The big 10 is better than people think

Tennessee is one of the worst coached teams I have seen in awhile. Lots of thug behavior. Undisciplined, personal fouls, etc. Kind of embarrassing for the sec.

Big 12 to date has been horrible.

2. Kino74

Kino74 Founding Member

+1 on that.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

observation:

there are too many freakin bowls. when all but two bowl eligible teams get invited to bowls, there is not "prestige" in it. how would you like to be the two teams that didnt? they have got to be thinking "wtf did we do wrong?"

i heard some dumbass announcer say yesterday that it was a reward for the players. during a bowl that had 7-5 and 6-6 teams playing. reward for what? mediocrity? sheesh!:rolleye33:

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

My biggest observation thus far is that the favorites teams are falling at a fast pace. 8 losses to 10 wins. Looks like this might be a good yr for the underdogs.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Here's my take. One of the reasons given against having a playoff in D1 or FBS (or whatever it's called now) is because it could potentially ruin the bowl games. Even though there are ways to preserve the bowls, why would you want to? Besides the National Championship game and maybe the Rose and Sugar, do any others MAKE money? All I've been seeing are stadiums that are 3/4 empty. UCONN is costing the state of Connecticut $3.5m because that couldn't sell their allotment of tickets to their game.

Scrap the bowl system and implement a playoff already. Or figure out a way to incorporate certain bowls into the playoff.

6. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Seems like a lot of games are not very competitive. There's been a few good ones, like UT/UNC, Cuse/KState, Army/SMU, FIU/Toledo and Iowa/Mizzou, but other than that I can't remember any good ones.

Perhaps there should be more of an emphasis on matching teams on ability and not proximity to the bowl site.

7. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

Perhaps if bowl games reduced the price for admission, more people would go, especially the locals. Simple law of supply and demand.

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

New Observation.
    The SEC our beloved conference has so far embarrassed itself on National TV.

SEC East maybe so far. But they are still SEC

9. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

I doubt the people running the show are concerned about the actual bowls, just how much money they make on them. Connecticut may be losing $3.5m, but I would bet my bottom dollar the NCAA and the rest of the people behind their scenes are cleaning up.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Bowl games are actually usually very good pairings. You listed some but then left out a 10-6 UCF/UGA game;14-7 Air Force/GT;31-28 S. Miss/Louisville;31-26 South Fla/Clemson; 19-7 Wash/Nebraska. That's half that were close scoreboard-wise. South Carolina/Fla. St was too- there were in it in the 4th qtr.

Often the case with bowl games and why I took most of the dogs in my bowl pick 'em. If you can get more than 3 points in a bowl game it's often a good roll of the dice. I'm winning by two correct picks right now.