Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Apr 8, 2008.

?

Should the USA boycott the opening of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Ditto.

2. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

I don't think the US should force a boycott, but i dont think it will have to anyway. Many athletes have said they will boycott on their own for both political and health reasons. Like the world record holder from ethiopia who wont do the marathon out of fear for his own heath and safety:

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/03/18/beijing.haile/

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

why give China validity as a western and world power by hosting the olympics?

the 10,000 athletes arent the important ones. they'll be ok either way. its the 300 million peasant farmers that im worried about.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

China is full of crap and I applaud any action that will cause them to lose face. If they want to be a superpower they need to do a better job of respecting human rights and freedoms.

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

So they are like baseball? We should boycott baseball too.

China always reaps the benefit no matter what happens during their regime, this is no different. There needs to be change but this wont do it.

No it wont. Are you more aware of Global Warming because of that world-wide concert? Most people will not even watch the Olympics and even if they become aware of China, what are they going to do? Nothing.

What this tells me is you over value the Olympics. All it is is a sporting event and its boycott wont send a message like it did back in the days. The saturation of sports on TV and seeing these athletes year round has let to a disinterest in the event from Americans and it wont make a difference to us or China.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Then why wait till the torch is in the streets, where was the boycott talk when China was awarded the site years ago? All I mentioned was give the athletes the decision to boycott rather having that decision dictated. I hope every one of our athletes wears a shirt that says “Free Tibet” on the podium as they hoist the flag of freedom, playing our song.

Any way you put it I am against China and the communism it represents but I feel the effort to boycott the Olympics, unfortunately will have little if no effect. What will we do next year or the year after when there is still a communist China swinging rubber sticks? Sticks no doubt made in China!

I do not have the answer. Like you all I can do is my part. Like you I pray for the betterment of the oppressed.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i cant pray because china says so

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

You are hard-core, and I respect that you take a such a strong stand for something that means a lot to you. I've read that Walmart imports more from China than the entire country of Germany. I think China is oppressive, but I also think that its making strides to become more Western, and I think the fact that Western countries import their goods helps that process along. I personally don't have a problem shopping at Walmart, and it doesn't bother me that I often find "made in China" stickers on the things I buy... whether they be from Walmart or not from Walmart.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I would enjoy seeing American athletes at the China Olympics expressing the right of freedom of expression common in the Western world, whether it be "Free Tibet" shirts or whatever that sends a message about China's flaws.