Boycott Olympic Opening Ceremony

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by clair, Apr 8, 2008.

?

Should the USA boycott the opening of the 2008 Summer Olympic Games?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. clair

clair Rockets

would you enjoy when our athletes are mysteriously found dead in their hotels?

that is what worries me the most is the safety of the athletes.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I'm with you. I'm indifferent on the whole issue. Yes, China has major flaws. If the U.S. decides to boycott the Olympics, it won't bother me at all. Yet, if the U.S. decides to compete, I'll have a grand ole time rooting for the U.S. and other Western athletes to crush the Chinese athletes so badly that China will wish they never agreed to host the Olympics in the first place.

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I thought about that, the dangers involved, but I believe with the entire world watching, and with the international significance of the event, China will have its hands tied. I think its a great opportunity to stick it to them when it comes to the beauty of freedom of expression... within reason. "Free Tibet" shirts seems reasonable. Burning a Chinese flag would be seriously pushing it.

4. clair

clair Rockets

I am absolutely not in favor of boycotting the whole Olympics. That is dumb.

I don't mind a boycott on the opening ceremony, though.

I just don't think the athletes should try to be heroes on their turf.

Go there, take it all in and then report the horror stories once you get home.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

To me, the whole point of the Olympics is being a hero. What makes it even more great is if we do it on their turf, in their own backyard. It would be like if Ohio State had come down to New Orleans for the 2007 NC, dominated the LSU fan base, and dominated the LSU football team.

As for the boycott thing, if the U.S. is going to do a boycott, I say do it all the way, or don't do it at all.

6. clair

clair Rockets

what I meant by being a hero is not wearing Anti-China stuff... etc...

but no, by all means, win 100 gold medals.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

kinda like those terrorists at the Olympics in '72 ish? In Israel maybe?
    Google that one for me and let me know what you come up with.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I'm not worried about Chinese fundamentalist terrorists attacking US athletes like those that attacked the Israeli athletes in Munich in the 70s. Does China even have fundamentalist terrorists?

What would be more relevant would be to point out how China handled the Tiannamen Square (spelling?) situation, which was a situation the world was watching. But that was China cracking down on its own citizens for exercising their freedom of expression, not cracking down on U.S. citizens expressing their freedom of expression during an international event.

Another thing that would be more relevant would be to point out how China handled the situation when they intercepted a U.S. spy plane over their territory and forced it to the ground, taking the U.S. crew as prisoners. China didn't harm the crew, except for detaining them until the situation was resolved diplomatically.

Granted, the fact that Richard Gere made a Free Tibet speech during his award acceptance speech at the Academy Awards ceremony, and the Academy found that so offensive that they banned Richard Gere from future Academy Awards ceremonies, it would not be a good idea for the U.S. to encourage our athletes to do stuff like wear "Free Tibet" shirts during the Olympics in China. But I secretly would love it if one of them decided to try to pull something like that off.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I'm not saying it will happen. Just pointing out that thinking it won't just because the World is watching, is a naive thought.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

not buying Chinese products because of politics is only one (and the minor) reason i do it. the main reason is i dont want thaliomide in my wife's tea. have you not heard about all the recent blatant unsafe manufacturing practices out of China in the last year? ---dog food, heparin, toys.

if i have to pay $0.50 more for a gallon of apple juice from the USA, im gonna do it.