BP Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Re: Oil Rig explosion?

This may suck:

AccuWeather: Oil from sunken rig headed for Gulf Coast beaches - News Updates - SunHerald.com

AccuWeather: Oil from sunken rig headed for Gulf Coast beaches

SUN HERALD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] E-Mail [​IMG] Print [​IMG] Reprint or license Text Size: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

tool name

close
    tool goes here

Oil from the rig that exploded and sank south of Louisiana is headed for the coastlines of Mississippi and Louisiana, according to AccuWeather forecasts.
    Oil could begin appearing on Coast beaches as early as Friday.
    AccuWeather.com metorologists said their predictions show the ocean current in the Gulf of Mexico will switch to a southerly direction in the next 24 to 36 hours, which will push the oil on the surface toward the coastline.

As of midday Thursday, the Gulf of Mexico current is taking oil from the sunken rig away from land, but meteorologists expect the current to change course as a storm from the Rockies begins to move towards the Mississippi Valley.
    This next system scheduled to bring severe weather into the Mississippi Valley will switch winds to the south, pulling the ocean current in the same direction.
    Surface oil washing upon beaches in Louisiana and Mississippi could be devastating for life along the coast

2. Cajun Sensation

Gulf businesses wait as oil creeps toward coast - Yahoo! News

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i was just reading that same article, cs.

this could devastate marine life and the economy along the gulf coast. not good for a region still struggling to recover from katrina.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

it figures. just as i'm on my way home to hit the coast for some serious catch up fishing. :angryfire

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

this isnt going to help the favorable political climate for offshore drilling.

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

At least the beaches with potential to be affected are not important............ Unlike those important California beaches.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

when are we gonna get that damn sarcasm emoticon?

8. Cajun Sensation

Re: Oil Rig explosion/Gulf Oil Spill

Who wants to get a few dozen BP oysters this weekend? I hear that they are going for .2 cents a pop!

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

"Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device

U.S. regulators don't mandate use of the remote-control device on offshore rigs, and the Deepwater Horizon, hired by oil giant BP PLC, didn't have one. With the remote control, a crew can attempt to trigger an underwater valve that shuts down the well even if the oil rig itself is damaged or evacuated

As a third line of defense, some rigs have the acoustic trigger

By 2003, U.S. regulators decided remote-controlled safeguards needed more study. A report commissioned by the Minerals Management Service said "acoustic systems are not recommended because they tend to be very costly."

An acoustic trigger costs about $500,000, industry officials said. The Deepwater Horizon had a replacement cost of about $560 million, and BP says it is spending $6 million a day to battle the oil spill."

http://http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704423504575212031417936798.html?mod=rss_Today%27s_Most_Popular

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Because this rig is a "floater" the blow out preventers are not on the rig itself and itstead are on the gult floor, in this case 5,000 feet below the rig. There are certainly manual methods to trigger the BOPs from the rig itself, however, the BOPs have automatic "triggers" that will deploy them under certain circumstances. Obviously neither worked in this case. Given the real time readings that exist, I suspect that BP and / or Transocean know exactly what happened here but probably not "why" and that will certainly be a point of dispute being it may determine who is responsible for all the damages that have been caused.